2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

driving vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:11 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an update on things so far. Replaced track bar, stabilizer bar bushings and end links, took rear stabilizer bar completely out. Replaced steering damper. Took my 2 inch coil spring spacers out (for sale btw if anyone is instersted), and got an alignment and tires balanced, then replaced my god awful shocks with oem ride quality shock friday night. Truck drives better, less wander and less shake at times and smoother over the bumps now. But still have some shaking going on at 65-70 mph. I have my tires aired to 60 psi all around. Going to try 50 or 55 psi just for ride quality sakes. What else can be causing a shaking??

I checked ball joints myself, jacked up the front and put a bar under the tire and pulled up. Passenger side top ball joint had some play up and down, but not much. Drivers side had some play up and down as well, even less than passenger side. Had a friend help with opinion and he thinks they're fine. I thought there wasn't supposed to be any play at all? I read that there should be some play in the top for when you are turning your wheels due to the camber. Fact or crap?

The place that did the alignment said they checked everything from control arms to ball joints tie rods etc and all checked out ok. I'm beginning to think these guys are incapable and don't actually check thoroughly due to how fast they want to get things done. Thinking of going elsewhere for a second opinion.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Do you feel the vibration thru the steering wheel? Or the seat?

Rotate your tires. Anything change?

Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the tie rods. Waste of money really. I spent big bucks on Moog and then had to modify them to not twist causing wander. My old Y steering was loose but after the new TR there was no change in the steering. They don't cause wander or looseness.

The only thing that helped was the steering box. The first one I picked up from Redhead was a bad one. Went back and they adjusted it looser which just made it worse. When I complained again, they replaced it under warranty. Wasn't fun doing the job twice.

If you have a vibe at hwy speeds then its not your steering. It's in the tires, wheels, hubs, brakes, or axles. Tires and ujoints would be where I start.

Where in WA are you? I'm east of Everett.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:40 AM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you feel the vibration thru the steering wheel? Or the seat?

Rotate your tires. Anything change?
tires were rotated when I got them balanced. It’s through the seat where I’m feeling the shake. Which tells me it’s tire related. Maybe one or two have slipped a chord? I had that happen with a set of BFG KO before these toyo tires. They are about 9 or 10 years old.

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I wouldn't worry about the tie rods. Waste of money really. I spent big bucks on Moog and then had to modify them to not twist causing wander. My old Y steering was loose but after the new TR there was no change in the steering. They don't cause wander or looseness.

The only thing that helped was the steering box. The first one I picked up from Redhead was a bad one. Went back and they adjusted it looser which just made it worse. When I complained again, they replaced it under warranty. Wasn't fun doing the job twice.

If you have a vibe at hwy speeds then its not your steering. It's in the tires, wheels, hubs, brakes, or axles. Tires and ujoints would be where I start.

Where in WA are you? I'm east of Everett.
I replaced rear driveline joints with spicer. My front drivers side caliper did feel like it was dragging more than it should be when I had it up in the air, but I don’t feel any warped rotors when braking.
I’m on the other side of the state from you south is Spokane

Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If nothing changed when the tires were rotated, it's not a tire problem.

Is the rear drive shaft bent, or damaged in any way? Any of the weights come loose?

Do you feel the vibration only under power, or is it still there if you let off the gas?

Old 10-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Ramman18
Champion

I don't mean to argue, heyyou, but it sure could be the tires still.

The stupid Cooper ATP fiasco I went through caused terrible vibes from the tread pattern itself! Had nothing to do with rotation, weights, balancing, etc. I ended up replacing anything that it could be EXCEPT tires before that was all that was left to do because I kept hearing "it can't be the tires."

The strangest thing can cause vibrations. If it's only at high speeds and specific, then that helps narrow it down.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:19 PM
chromed95
Captain

I just drove it into Spokane and I was wrong, I feel the shaking in the steering wheel too, but only intermittently. Seat shake is constant, consistent with out of balance tires. Doesn’t matter if it’s going over a bump or not or pavement vs concrete. This truck is weird. Everything feels nice once I get below 50 mph.

the driveline has some small dents in it from changing u joints (my fault on that) and the weights are still there.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would be tempted to toss on a different set of tires, and see if anything changes. (not necessarily new tires, just different ones.)

Old 10-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Yeah, it could be just one bad belt. Had that happen on my first set of Coopers years ago as it separated on a road trip. Bubbled up noticeably and caused hwy vibe.

Go to one of the Les Schwabs there or Perfection Tire and see what they find tire-wise. How was it coasting down the 90 hill into town? Or did you come from the east?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM
chromed95
Captain

Hello again! So though my shaking is mostly gone after all the work I've done, I feel it's coming back. Got up to 70mph on the freeway and the shaking definitely comes back. I'm really leaning towards my tires being the last issue. They've been balanced numerous times. They're also 9 or 10 years old and I'm wondering if they are just plumb out of round from age. I've watched the tire techs balance them and they put them on the machine and walk away for a bit and come back and put a huge weight on the wheel that's about 3 inches long. Any good way to check for out of round myself? Planning on getting axles up on stands and having my wife push the gas pedal while I look for out of round tire. Then put it in 4wd and check the fronts.

I've read about road force balancing, but the machines I saw at the tire place i use didn't have that roller to put the simulated weight pressure on the tire. I feel in the end, it's going to be a new set of tires that's going to cure it