2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You have what they call a wet clutch. Dodge starting using them in 94 and up. The older manuals 93 down are better as they have no hydraulics they are a dry clutch.
Wet vs. Dry refers to whether the clutch is bathed in oil or not. His truck has a dry clutch. (no oil supposed to be in there at any rate....) My tractor has wet clutches. Fluid is actually piped to the clutch housing, and the clutches are immersed in it.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it seems like the truck only does it when it's warm or so. I drove it this morning after sitting all night and it did not slip, and Im Suspecting when I get out of school after letting the truck sit for 6 hours it won't slip either cause it didn't do it yesterday nor the day b4 when it was cold. But when I get home After school and leave for work only 30 minutes after shutting it off, it slips. It's like when it sits hot, something cooks and doesn't work like it should.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:23 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

I ordered a clutch kit under warranty, so in case it comes that far, I have it here hopefully by the weekend. Tonight I'm going to rmove the whole hydraulic system out of the truck and inspect it and try bleeding it. I may even try swapping out my master and see what that does. If no change I may claim warranty under my slave and see in a new one may help some. Still got to do some tests but if anyone has any other ideas or things to try please let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wet vs. Dry refers to whether the clutch is bathed in oil or not. His truck has a dry clutch. (no oil supposed to be in there at any rate....) My tractor has wet clutches. Fluid is actually piped to the clutch housing, and the clutches are immersed in it.
I was told different. Thanks for correcting it. I was told wet clutch has hydraulics where dry doesn't.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I was told different. Thanks for correcting it. I was told wet clutch has hydraulics where dry doesn't.
you may be right I'm my situation now, well....kinda

My inspection cover seals a little tight to the bellhousing of the trans, and I spotted a small film of oil on the bottom of my bellhoisong last night when I was going to go take my hydraulics out. I removed my inspection cover and saw the thing I didn't want to see. The inside of the bellhousing was covered in oil. Not sure why oil on the cutch would slip when it's only hot and not cold, beyond me, but I'll keep it posted and let ya know how the transmission drop comes along and how the seal replacement comes as well. I was told by the PO of the trans that the seal was replaced just recently, mainly my reason I didn't mess with it when it was going into My truck. I guess I'm just learning my lesson

Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check and see if it's oil from the trans, or oil from the rear main seal on the engine..... Should be able to tell easily once the trans is out of the way.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:32 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

If it was from the rear main, I would see oil on the back of the flywheel, and that I do not see. I can also see that there is oil film near the slave clylinder, if I reach my finger in. I don't think motor oil could make it that far backnear the slave, nor affect the clutch in any way, being that the flywheel basically separates the bell housing area in half. I could be wrong, but how could motor oil be on the clutch side of the flywheel?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sounds like it is indeed the trans leaking.....