2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Popping through exhaust/PCV Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping through exhaust/PCV Question

Hey guys,

So I just took my valve covers off my 5.9 and cleaned them up cause the PCV/Breather grommits were leaking pretty bad.. Put everything back together, and now I have a loud popping sound through exhaust at idle. No CEL, no noticeable misfires, revs up smoothly.. Didnt run it long cause the noise is kinda scary.

Heres what I did:
-Moved PCV from rear of valve cover, to front (mopar performance valve covers)
-Installed a breather into valve cover (no more hose to air cleaner)
-Cut a couple ground wires going to rear of engine
(Believe last owner installed them)
-Replaced plug wires (after popping started)

I believe everything is tightened up, and I dont believe I forgot to plug anything in/whatnot. Was moving the PCV a bad idea, or is this something else? I know the covers/grommits are tighter than before, maybe its a computer relearning/tuner issue?

Please help,
Much thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Ok, time for me to feel dumb-er than usual. Turns out I mixed up 2 plugs after I put the valve covers back on. Weird, cause the engine sounded/felt normal other than the popping noise. Took a while for the CEL to be thrown.

Anyways, I would appreciate some input on what I did with the PCV valve/breather. Just want to make sure my engine will continue running soundly.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,280 Likes on 3,027 Posts

I have done that too. Drove it home 14 miles.... 'bout halfway when it dropped into O/D, the miss became REALLY noticeable. Re-do the plug wires, ran much better.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:25 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Lol, I didnt drive mine at all.. But it still seemed to be running totally normal especially at higher rpms.. What immediately set off the CEL was when I re-programed my tune, and fired her back up.

Ive been running an aftermarket Edelbrock breather, along with the relocated PCV for the last couple days and all seems good and normal.. And looks MUCH cleaner. The original PCV location was plugged with an oil cap, which (yes) means I have 2. For anyone else with Mopar Performance valve covers, I would highly recommend doing thesame thing.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have done that too. Drove it home 14 miles.... 'bout halfway when it dropped into O/D, the miss became REALLY noticeable. Re-do the plug wires, ran much better.