2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 ram 1500 temp selector is not working!!! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There is no motor. It's cable operated. Purely mechanical. Its possible the cable is just jammed..... and after you rotate it, air pressure holds it in place.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:27 AM
S H
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian Bryan
Thank you both for your replies! I am sorry it took me so long to hop back on here. I have yet to have time to treat into the dash. I did discover a temporary ghetto fix. I took a pair of pliers and rotated the blend door axle over to heat and it works great. Interestingly enough, when I turn the truck off the blend door snaps back to the temp position the selector died in. What do you think is causing this snap back? I am by no means an expert on vehicle hvac systems, but logically I think if the door actuator motor was bad, then it wouldn't move back. If the blend door was broken at the motor, then it wouldn't move back. So what's going on there?
I have a 96 ram doing the same thing the actuator is not electrical it is cable controlled but every time it's started back up there are vaccum lines that recenter it every time which is where it's nice when the cable actually works because then it keeps it from going back to the neutral zone between the hot and cold as far as I know only way to fix it is pull the whole heater box or top of the dash and look it all over might possibly have that plastic arm broken on the top I'm personally going to try to fabricate one out of metal since I can't find the plastic arm that hooks to the cable on the box