2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 ping

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Bigred128
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it! So basecally the whole bottle in the brake booster hose? Just pure it very slowly so I don’t mess the motor up? And when I have time and money I will try this and I’ll kept you guys updated if it fixed it or not.

Not it like some post...

Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I put the hose down into the bottle, but, NOT into the liquid, just above the surface, it'll suck it in quite nicely. (make sure you are standing upwind when doing this, otherwise, it'll likely kill ya with the smoke and stench. )

Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Bigred128
Amateur

Got it! Good to know I’ll kept this form updated

Old 11-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome to my world! Been chasing ping since 2001 and over 225k miles.

Deathflash cured mine too and tuners just made it worse. So, I've been running two things ever since:

1. 180 t-stat
2. Seafoam every 6 months.

You won't hurt anything. Run the whole bottle in the brake booster line at a very slow pace. Just tip the bottle towards the hose in your hand and it will atomize as it hits the vacuum. Don't dip the hose in the bottle. If it dies, you've poured too fast. Let it suck it down then shut down. Let it sit for 20-30 mins. Fire up and rev until most of the smoke is dissipated, then take it out and run it like you stole it. It should help. Then a week later, do another treatment.

Another thing you can do that I never had luck with is changing plugs to a colder range. The plugs that I ended up with was the early 2nd gen plugs: RC12YC versus the newer projected nose RC12LC4. Same heat range but standard nose. The discontinued Truckplugs were the beezneez though!

When you replaced the wires, did you use the updated TSB wiring diagram? Certain wires can't touch or must cross at a T. You'll find a lot of info here:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/ping.htm

Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 AM
itate
Rookie

After changing my plenum it took following the spark plug wire TSB and one step colder plug to get rid of my pinging.
My truck has the 195 thermostat and I use 87 octane gas and somehow my truck escaped the death flash and is ten years ping free. *knocks on wood*

Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Bigred128
Amateur

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Welcome to my world! Been chasing ping since 2001 and over 225k miles.

Deathflash cured mine too and tuners just made it worse. So, I've been running two things ever since:

1. 180 t-stat
2. Seafoam every 6 months.

You won't hurt anything. Run the whole bottle in the brake booster line at a very slow pace. Just tip the bottle towards the hose in your hand and it will atomize as it hits the vacuum. Don't dip the hose in the bottle. If it dies, you've poured too fast. Let it suck it down then shut down. Let it sit for 20-30 mins. Fire up and rev until most of the smoke is dissipated, then take it out and run it like you stole it. It should help. Then a week later, do another treatment.

Another thing you can do that I never had luck with is changing plugs to a colder range. The plugs that I ended up with was the early 2nd gen plugs: RC12YC versus the newer projected nose RC12LC4. Same heat range but standard nose. The discontinued Truckplugs were the beezneez though!

When you replaced the wires, did you use the updated TSB wiring diagram? Certain wires can't touch or must cross at a T. You'll find a lot of info here:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/ping.htm
thats good info. Yea I placed the wires correctly double check that penalty of times last night. And I plan on getting a can of sea foam this weekend and doing it. I hope it helps. It’s very annoying. I can’t hear the ping with the windows down and the radio off. Only when the windows are up and the radio is off?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Bigred128
Amateur

Originally Posted by itate
After changing my plenum it took following the spark plug wire TSB and one step colder plug to get rid of my pinging.
My truck has the 195 thermostat and I use 87 octane gas and somehow my truck escaped the death flash and is ten years ping free. *knocks on wood*

thats is the same thermostat mine is running. I love it! And I always use 87 because gas here is already 3.38 a gallon and anything higher is almost or is 4.00 a gallon!!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If the ping is that quiet, it's not that bad. Mine has gone from very slight to rattle can loud. Began doing it about a month after purchase in 2001. Had no idea what it was so took it back and they did a tune-up and deathflashed it under warranty.

Funny thing is, after I went to bigger tires (285) it made it nearly disappear. Must've changed the pcm's fueling parameters or something. Anyways, I've been able to get by for years now with no ping.

When you did your tune up, did you use brass cap and rotor and stock plugs? No platinum or iridium? These engines need regular copper plugs and the gap is important too. Keep us posted.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Bigred128
Amateur

If the ping is that quiet, it's not that bad. Mine has gone from very slight to rattle can loud. Began doing it about a month after purchase in 2001. Had no idea what it was so took it back and they did a tune-up and deathflashed it under warranty.

Funny thing is, after I went to bigger tires (285) it made it nearly disappear. Must've changed the pcm's fueling parameters or something. Anyways, I've been able to get by for years now with no ping.

When you did your tune up, did you use brass cap and rotor and stock plugs? No platinum or iridium? These engines need regular copper plugs and the gap is important too. Keep us posted.
i did the tune up about 9,000 miles ago. I used autozone cap and rotor and wires. I believe they were cooper and my spark plugs are cooper as well. Truck loves them compared to what used to be in There from the other owner.

i will kept everyone posted as well

Old 11-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Bigred128
Amateur

i seefoam it today! Just now. I put 3/4 of the bottle in the brake booster hose and then waited 10 or so mins and then drove it. Pretty hard after the smoke went alway. I didn’t hear any ping but we will see on the way home I have to climb up a decent hill. And that’s when I ussally hear it