2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why Haven't We Established A Performance Mod Order/Proven Combos List For Our Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Cam looks tasty. Think I would spend more on the timing set though, go with a good double roller setup. They are less prone to stretching than the stock, morse-style chain. (albeit, around 50 bucks or so.....)

I would still seriously consider doing at least shorty headers. Its not just about flow volume, it's also about flow dynamics. Even shorties will give better scavenging the the stockers, and will get you more from your cam as well. Might even sound better. (if that's even a concern.....)

Also, just as an aside...... If your truck is 97 or older, the biggest restriction in the exhaust is right where the down tubes hit the cat. They are crushed down pretty small there...... (there are pics of it around here somewhere..... and it looks awful) If you wanted to go with long tubes, but, not have to completely go thru the exhaust, could do the pacesetters, along with their Y-pipe. (no cat in that, but, simply matter to cut and splice if you have to have one.) Then you could just use an adapter to the rest of the exhaust system. 98 and newer aren't nearly as bad.

Edit: I like the hughes cam better.
I am doing a double roller actually. Indy cylinder head which is in my neck of the woods has some on clearance for 25 bucks. They said they are melling brand, which I feel pretty good about.

Yeah, I'm probably going to grab a set of those pacesetter shorties after reading that hotrod article. The peak torque gain wasn't that substantial, but the shorties were up 20hp and 20lb-ft over pretty much the entire curve.

My truck is an 01.

Agreed, I think I'm going with Hughes for everything. They are the premiere folks for modding magnum trucks and their service has been a lot better than Comps.

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 11-15-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

What do you think of these? I'm sure the quality isn't awesome, but I don't need anything too fancy. I just bought them. It's fulfilled by amazon so if they look ****ty, I'll just return them. Couldn't say no for that price! Also bought stage 8 locking header bolts and a remflex gasket since I assume the fasteners and gaskets supplied will be garbage.

https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Exhaust-Stainless-Manifold-Headers/dp/B0727ZDDH1/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510766647&vehicle=2001-40-2760-1336-29-77-11-8-4773--8-2-116--7-0&sr=1-4&ymm=2001%3Adodge%3Aram+1500&keywords=shorty+headers&dpID=51TrWh5XTZL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Exhaust-Stainless-Manifold-Headers/dp/B0727ZDDH1/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510766647&vehicle=2001-40-2760-1336-29-77-11-8-4773--8-2-116--7-0&sr=1-4&ymm=2001%3Adodge%3Aram+1500&keywords=shorty+headers&dpID=51TrWh5XTZL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Ok, so I actually have a new, fun thought experiment here.

What sort of gains, would you all expect to see if I did these modifications instead of what's listed above?

DIY Ported stock heads (Again, just using mopar porting template and gasket matching)
DIY gasket matched kegger (and maybe keggar mod)
Short headers
and Stock cam...

I realize this isn't going to get me anywhere near my 50hp goal listed above, but it could be a cool stepping stone for a very low financial investment. By far and away by biggest expenses are the cam and supporting mods. If I just pull the heads off, port them myself and put it back together with some headers...that might give me enough of a boost that I'd be happy for a while and wouldn't cost very much at all. I'd still throw on the double roller and re-time it since the stock one is likely stretched.

I'm pretty down to do the cam, but if I could pull 20-30 horse out of the motor for a couple hundred bucks on this setup or 50 out of it for over a grand...I might be tempted to cheap out here. I don't NEED the power.....I just want it.

One last question. Is it possible that I would need to wait for the PCM to adapt before feeling a performance advantage when using superchips? I never felt anything when I changed the tunes, but I read someone else talking about how it got a lot better after the computer was able to re-learn. If that's the case, would it be optimal to disconnect the battery for a while, then load the tune and go from there?

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 11-15-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I'm not really a fan of the stainless steel headers, as most of them are made from REALLY thin metal. They just don't last long. Not sure the pacesetters would be any better though, and yeah, that's a good price.

You may get 5-10 HP from porting the heads.... adding the headers will bump it a little bit more. I don't think you'll see the full 20 out of 'em though.... not on stock heads. But, that's just a guess.

If you don't really wanna spend that much at the moment, could always add the Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers to your short list. (around 400 bucks now, I think.) They are good for 10hp/tq in and of themselves, on a stock motor, and a simple bolt-on. (dyno tested by another member.) I think that would likely get you pretty close to your 30hp...... and be somewhat cheaper. And when you decided to tear it down, and do more, get a cam that will go with the 1.7 rockers, and re-use them. Basically, the higher ratio rockers will make the cam seem bigger than it actually is. (stock ratio is 1.6)

The PCM will be completely reset by the time you get it all put back together. I would expect that you would notice the difference right away. The engine hits closed loop pretty darn quick.... (gotta love heated O2 sensors.) so, the O2 sensor will correct any mixture imbalances from open loop operation fairly quickly. The more you drive it, the more the computer will learn the new parts, and adjust accordingly.

Yes, by all means, gasket match the intake as well. Every little bit helps. You can cut down the runners, or not, up to you. All it really does is move the power band up a bit. (of course, it unshrouds the runners some too, so, it may be worth a couple ponies....

Last edited by HeyYou; 11-15-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:45 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I'm not really a fan of the stainless steel headers, as most of them are made from REALLY thin metal. They just don't last long. Not sure the pacesetters would be any better though, and yeah, that's a good price.

You may get 5-10 HP from porting the heads.... adding the headers will bump it a little bit more. I don't think you'll see the full 20 out of 'em though.... not on stock heads. But, that's just a guess.

If you don't really wanna spend that much at the moment, could always add the Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers to your short list. (around 400 bucks now, I think.) They are good for 10hp/tq in and of themselves, on a stock motor, and a simple bolt-on. (dyno tested by another member.) I think that would likely get you pretty close to your 30hp...... and be somewhat cheaper. And when you decided to tear it down, and do more, get a cam that will go with the 1.7 rockers, and re-use them. Basically, the higher ratio rockers will make the cam seem bigger than it actually is. (stock ratio is 1.6)

The PCM will be completely reset by the time you get it all put back together. I would expect that you would notice the difference right away. The engine hits closed loop pretty darn quick.... (gotta love heated O2 sensors.) so, the O2 sensor will correct any mixture imbalances from open loop operation fairly quickly. The more you drive it, the more the computer will learn the new parts, and adjust accordingly.

Yes, by all means, gasket match the intake as well. Every little bit helps. You can cut down the runners, or not, up to you. All it really does is move the power band up a bit. (of course, it unshrouds the runners some too, so, it may be worth a couple ponies....
The rockers don't appeal to me that much. I think they're nice, but honestly, it's not that much more to just run a cam and that would be a far more substantial bump.

Yeah sure, I'm just thinking about an explanation for why I didn't feel jack **** with the superchips tune. I mean they claim 50ft-lbs. Even if they're overestimating by double I should have felt something...but nope.

Well, what I'm thinking with the kegger mod is this. As it sits, the ram has plenty of torque off idle. In the rain, even with my good cooper tires, it can get sideways coming away from a light with anything over about 1/4 throttle. It's downright touchy honestly. While I wouldn't want to lose that torque, having some more breathing in the 3000-4000 range would be really nice for the passing problem I am mainly complaining about. A mixture of the headers, port work, and keg mod might give me enough mid-range power to be happy for a while and I could add the cam later if I wanted and these mods would still be useful.

I'm going back and forth about canceling the order on those headers. I mean realistically, I just spent almost $200 on them and would at best see 20 numbers out of them and likely not that much. The cam is more of course, but I've got an email from hughes saying they would expect 30-40 numbers from that cam in my application. It's really hard not to just throw the money at that and keep the manifolds. Don't really want to spend the cash on both. The appeal to the cheaper setup besides cost is the lack of a tuning need. I know hughes says the cam will be fine without tuning, but knowing my luck I'd end up needing it.

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 11-15-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
I am not disagreeing with you on engine theory in general. Yes, an engine is just a big air pump and so opening up flow is the key to performance....BUT every engine has different restrictions that warrant a different order to modification. On my LS1 for instance, the factory installed LS6 intake manifold was awesome. Perfectly fine for most street uses, and just bolting on a F.A.S.T wasn't a very cost effective upgrade on mild builds. The same could be said of headers on the small block mopar. From my readings, the manifolds are less restrictive than what are seen on chevys and fords and therefore, on mild builds, are not an efficient use of money, even though they SHOULD produce more power purely on engine theory alone. Essentially, we need to understand the specific variables, and not make so many generalizations.

I have no doubt than an M1 or an Air Gap would be superior if I was building a magnum engine to put in a car and go drag racing with, or even if I was building a high performance street truck. As it stands, I am not doing those things. First and foremost, I still want my truck to be a truck...just a little bit of a faster one. That means I still want torque to be the priority, and I don't want to have to rev the engine more to get moving if I've got a trailer hooked up to it. In looking at the Hughes dyno for the air gap, the air gap gives up a substantial amount of torque all the way from idle to about 3500rpm. It's shorter runners means it's likely going to be worse at producing torque under part throttle as well.

The keg is actually great for what I want. I don't want to transform the truck into a screamer, I don't want it to rev higher, I want it to make maxiumum torque down low, but be able to breathe a little better under WOT for passing.

I think I still have an incomplete understanding of flow dynamics and why a smaller valve would be better. I would think that more lift and a smaller valve, or less lift and a bigger valve would have the same effect at some point.

With headers, of course they flow better than manifolds, the question is, can you use the flow? If your stock manifolds flow 200cfm, and your heads flow 180, and the headers flow 300...then what's the point? Anything over 180 is not doing anything. Again, on a race motor with way more flow, headers are of course a must.

I think you took it backwards. I was suggesting that the setup you recommended should be far more than just 50hp. That's not the question though, the question is how to get 50hp (or around there) with the least cost.

Regarding budget, it is going to depend on whether or not replacing the heads is REQUIRED. I know it's recommended, but right now, if they pass a pressure test, they're going back on. Since this is my first time porting heads, I want to do it on the stock junk piles first, and then if they fail, I'll have more experience when I buy the eq heads. It's a learning experience.
I don't have a set budget for the project, but would like to be as frugal as reasonably possible. The only labor I will be paying is whatever a dealer charges me to reset the fuel sync because I don't have a tool to do that, and whatever a shop charges me to pressure test the heads. I'll be doing all the removal, dis-assembly, porting, and re-installation myself. I have a hookup on a hot tank for the heads so I don't have to pay for that. This is 95% parts cost.

The cam (not a regrind) will be $370
Spring upgrade for both heads is $200
Lifters are $136
Cam bolt, washer, key is $18
Timing set is $25
Porting is just my labor and a few bucks for the burrs and cartridge rolls I bought
Then add all new head and intake gaskets, tb gasket, thermoststat gasket, valve seals, that kinda stuff. Maybe a couple hundred bucks.

So assuming my stock heads are usable, I'll be a little under a grand for this upgrade. If I've gotta buy heads, I'll probably buy the iron rams with 2.02s from hughes for $1200 which will more than double my investment. That's unless I can find a deal on some local used heads that aren't cracked.

I don't plan to dyno the truck, but I am going to assume that the cam with bigger lifter and longer duration, mixed with the mild head porting, should made a substantial difference in performance. Hughes claims this combo will work well with stock pcm tuning so that will save me $500 in tuning costs (I am going to sell the superchips I bought and recoup maybe $200 or so from that). If the truck runs poorly, I'll have to pony up for hemifever tuning.

Thanks for the rundown.

I definitely get what you're saying with the cam which is why I am changing mine. What do you think of this hughes cam? http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=Qi0gU21hbGwgQm xvY2sgRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid= 30212 I really want to be able to avoid tuning costs and hassle. I've had an awful experience with it in the past. I realize you'll never make big power without it, but I don't need big power here, just maybe 250rwhp out of a 360ci engine. It's not that much to ask haha.

I haven't thought of an engine using up compression to expel exhaust gasses before. It's interesting engine theory, but again, we would need to see dyno proof that freeing up exhaust would make a different on this type of application. Looks like on a small block mopar with a mild cam, those pacesetter headers are worth 24hp and 8lb-ft. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/compa...and-manifolds/ It's important to remember that the magnum manifolds flow better than the LA manifolds, albeit probably not an awful lot more. I'm sure HeyYou would be interested to see that the long tubes did gain a little on the shorties in this test, but I don't think the price is justified in this application. I'd have to build an entire new exhaust. The shorties though...I might buy those. They're 200 bucks on amazon for black painted, and $386 for armor coated. Might be worth it.

It's cool to hear you've had some success. What are your thoughts on my combo listed above with maybe the addition of the shorties?
We're not talking about the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon here, were talking about a V-8. The generalizations being made are true regardless of whether they are applied to a '67 mustang gt, a 2017 corvette, or our 2nd gen Ram. If you are wanting to know specifics: our trucks have a much more restrictive set of intake parts and exhaust parts than what you'd find on a corvette or an old muscle car and are typical of parts on late 90's pickups, regardless of manufacturer. The science regarding how to make low-end torque or high-end horsepower has been thoroughly explored and well documented for over 50 years. Whether you are interested in thermodynamics, volumetric efficiency, pressure wave tuning, or friction reduction, the science has been known for decades. The literature is available. If you are wanting to know what the dyno numbers are for part X on our truck in otherwise stock form, perhaps you can find that. If you are wanting to know what the dyno numbers are for part X in combination with part G, part D, and part L on our trucks (which were never very popular with the performance tuner crowd), well my friend, that just doesn't exist. Which is why you'll just have to either do what many of us did and study the literature on general engine tuning, internal combustion engine thermodynamics, valve timing, and exhaust theory, or you'll just have to take our word for it.

The AirGap gives up a substantial amount of torque at low rpm but only on a stock system. Remember what I said about needing to do this mod in concert with other flow-related mods? When you get rid of some of the other restrictions, the low-end torque not only comes back but is increased in the AirGap compared to the kegger -which is already operating at pretty close to its max flow. The kegger is great for what you want ONLY if you don't want to make any more torque than you already have.

A smaller intake valve is better for low end torque because it results in higher velocity at any lift than a larger valve will at any lift. Higher flow velocity = more torque at low rpm and less horsepower at high rpm. Higher flow volume = less torque at low rpm and more horsepower at high rpm. This is true of both intake air flow or exhaust gas flow.

If your stock manifolds flow 200 cfm and your heads flow 180, and your headers flow 300, then you've made a huge improvement. Here's why: the air coming into your heads is 180 cfm of air at ambient temperature. The exhaust gases being forced through the manifolds or headers are at 1800 degrees Fahrenheit and moving at 200 mph, so that 180 cfm coming through the head expands to more like 740 cfm. There may be only a 100 cfm improvement in the ability to flow ambient temperature air at normal pressure through the headers, but at the incredible temperature, speed, and pressure that the expanding exhaust gases are being forced through, that 100 cfm improvement makes a big difference.

If you want the cheapest way to make 50 lb./ft. torque, buy that Hughes cam, port and polish your stock heads, buy a set of shorty headers, and get your PCM tuned whether you think it will help or not (it will). Stay away from Hemifever -too many bad stories. Some personal notes: I ported and polished my own heads and it's a booger of a job. I probably spent a total of 100 hours on them (but I am a perfectionist). I used B&G Performance to do my PCM tuning and so far, I'm happy with them.

I think that cam is probably fine, but remember, Dodge tuned the PCM to run the truck optimally for all the parts they put in it. When you go changing things, you HAVE to re-tune the PCM to run the engine correctly and to take advantage of the available performance. Think of it this way: your grandmother is used to driving her Buick to the grocery store and back and she's had a lot of experience driving at 25 mph on those roads. Then you buy her a corvette. When she goes to the grocery store, she's still going to drive 25 mph, taking the corners extra slow, stopping at all the yield signs, etc. She's like your PCM in stock tune. It only knows how to manage the engine in stock form. When you add a lot of performance-enhancing parts, the PCM is not going to let you get any more power out of the system because it thinks it's still managing a stock system. Now if you tune the PCM to your new mods, that's like hiring a race car driver to drive your corvette to the grocery store. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Superchips -a lot of people did. But you can't get around the fact that you're going to need to tune that PCM if you want to make any more power.

That link you posted to a comparison of headers to manifolds I actually posted that link a couple years ago in one of my threads. Look at the numbers more closely. The shorty headers actually show a gain of 25 HP at 4400 rpm and 36 lb./ft. torque at 2100 rpm over the stock manifolds. That's 36 lb./ft. of torque right where you want it -down low. I think that pretty much ends the argument on why you would want headers on a relatively mild build.

Last edited by Big Green 360; 11-15-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Green 360
We're not talking about the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon here, were talking about a V-8. The generalizations being made are true regardless of whether they are applied to a '67 mustang gt, a 2017 corvette, or our 2nd gen Ram. If you are wanting to know specifics: our trucks have a much more restrictive set of intake parts and exhaust parts than what you'd find on a corvette or an old muscle car and are typical of parts on late 90's pickups, regardless of manufacturer. The science regarding how to make low-end torque or high-end horsepower has been thoroughly explored and well documented for over 50 years. Whether you are interested in thermodynamics, volumetric efficiency, pressure wave tuning, or friction reduction, the science has been known for decades. The literature is available. If you are wanting to know what the dyno numbers are for part X on our truck in otherwise stock form, perhaps you can find that. If you are wanting to know what the dyno numbers are for part X in combination with part G, part D, and part L on our trucks (which were never very popular with the performance tuner crowd), well my friend, that just doesn't exist. Which is why you'll just have to either do what many of us did and study the literature on general engine tuning, internal combustion engine thermodynamics, valve timing, and exhaust theory, or you'll just have to take our word for it.

The AirGap gives up a substantial amount of torque at low rpm but only on a stock system. Remember what I said about needing to do this mod in concert with other flow-related mods? When you get rid of some of the other restrictions, the low-end torque not only comes back but is increased in the AirGap compared to the kegger -which is already operating at pretty close to its max flow. The kegger is great for what you want ONLY if you don't want to make any more torque than you already have.

A smaller intake valve is better for low end torque because it results in higher velocity at any lift than a larger valve will at any lift. Higher flow velocity = more torque at low rpm and less horsepower at high rpm. Higher flow volume = less torque at low rpm and more horsepower at high rpm. This is true of both intake air flow or exhaust gas flow.

If your stock manifolds flow 200 cfm and your heads flow 180, and your headers flow 300, then you've made a huge improvement. Here's why: the air coming into your heads is 180 cfm of air at ambient temperature. The exhaust gases being forced through the manifolds or headers are at 1800 degrees Fahrenheit and moving at 200 mph. There may be only a 100 cfm improvement in the ability to flow ambient temperature air at normal pressure through the headers, but at the incredible temperature, speed, and pressure that the expanding exhaust gases are being forced through, that 100 cfm improvement acts more like a 500 cfm improvement.

If you want the cheapest way to make 50 lb./ft. torque, buy that Hughes cam, port and polish your stock heads, buy a set of shorty headers, and get your PCM tuned whether you think it will help or not (it will). Stay away from Hemifever -too many bad stories. Some personal notes: I ported and polished my own heads and it's a booger of a job. I probably spent a total of 100 hours on them (but I am a perfectionist). I used B&G Performance to do my PCM tuning and so far, I'm happy with them.

I think that cam is probably fine, but remember, Dodge tuned the PCM to run the truck optimally for all the parts they put in it. When you go changing things, you HAVE to re-tune the PCM to run the engine correctly and to take advantage of the available performance. Think of it this way: your grandmother is used to driving her Buick to the grocery store and back and she's had a lot of experience driving at 25 mph on those roads. Then you buy her a corvette. When she goes to the grocery store, she's still going to drive 25 mph, taking the corners extra slow, stopping at all the yield signs, etc. She's like your PCM in stock tune. It only knows how to manage the engine in stock form. When you add a lot of performance-enhancing parts, the PCM is not going to let you get any more power out of the system because it thinks it's still managing a stock system. Now if you tune the PCM to your new mods, that's like hiring a race car driver to drive your corvette to the grocery store. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Superchips -a lot of people did. But you can't get around the fact that you're going to need to tune that PCM if you want to make any more power.

That link you posted to a comparison of headers to manifolds I actually posted that link a couple years ago in one of my threads. Look at the numbers more closely. The shorty headers actually show a gain of 25 HP at 4400 rpm and 36 lb./ft. torque at 2100 rpm over the stock manifolds. That's 36 lb./ft. of torque right where you want it -down low. I think that pretty much ends the argument on why you would want headers on a relatively mild build.
Again, I'm not disputing these time tested generalizations about engine performance. We all agree on things like longer intake runners gets you torque at the expense of high rpm power. I'm not arguing that. I was trying to make a case for us as a community looking at these motors specifically and saying "This guy did X on a stock motor and got Y hp gain" and "This guy did Z and got Y+1 gain" therefore, we should be recommending that people do Z before X.

With the airgap, I honestly don't know what to believe. The dyno graphs hughes posted don't seem to agree with you. http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArt...edynotests.php On the top graph(no tune), the keg is stronger on HP until 4000rpm where the air gap then proceeds to beat it by like 20 numbers before the keg matches it again between 4700-5000. With regard to torque, the keg wins by almost 50 numbers under 3500rpm, then matched the air gap between 3500-4000, then loses to the air gap between 4000-5000 by between 10 and 50 numbers. At what point is the air gap ever providing superior low end torque as you suggest? In the second graph(tuned), it shows the air gap beating the keg at every rpm for hp, but no torque figures posted. I totally buy that the air gap is better up top, but down low, it seems to be worse than the keg and who knows what's going on with it at part-throttle. Might be better, might be worse.

Alright, thanks for the valve explanation.

Alright, I'm trying to get my heads around that bit about air temperature differences and flow. I am thinking of tire pressure, if you don't add or remove air, and the ambient temp rises 50 degrees, your tire pressure goes up, indicating there is more "volume" for lack of a better word. So therefore, hotter air takes up more space, and so flowing it out helps a disproportionate amount. Is that right?

Yeah, I am going back and forth about the cam. I'd love the improvement, but am wondering if I can't get by with the exhaust, head work, and intake work and save the cash. We shall see.

I plan to try out self porting. I won't be doing it as in depth as you, but plan to print off the mopar porting templates and use those, along with basic gasket matching and casting flash removal.

What did B and G tuning cost you? Was it also done via SCT through the mail?

I don't know that the grandma analogy is quite accurate. The system is not a static program. It compensates for changes in an attempt to meet a desired air fuel ratio (at least that's how I understand it). Therefore, even though you won't maximize performance without tuning, it's not like you put in a high lift cam and all of the sudden the pcm goes, nah, I'm gonna pull timing out so you stay at the same torque output. It's not that sophisticated.

I had the bad experience with superchips, but also have a nightmare of a tuning issue with my camaro. I paid a guy who tuned for Lingenfelter to do it on the side, and he sucked. Couldn't get the drive-ability dialed in and the computer would self-learn it's way around his changes. I'd drive over an hour away to meet him to tweak it, and then by the time I was home it was acting up again. ****ing nightmare. It wasn't even right when I sold the car.

**** me, I did just skim the numbers but how did I miss that 36lb/ft gap? I can't believe they didn't mention it when they were discussing it.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Doing the Air Gap as a standalone mod, for your purposes, would be counter-productive, yes. However, with a good cam, and the other mods you are considering, it significantly brightens the picture. 600 bucks worth of brightness? Well, only you can decide that.

Rockers are about the same price as the cam, yes, but, you DON'T need new springs/locks/retainers/etc. You buy the rockers, and valve cover gaskets.... and that's it.

You actually WANT headers of some flavor. The ones you linked are cheap, but, will still flow better than the stock manifolds. Unfortunately, 'good' shorties for our trucks run north of 400 bucks these days..... 10 or 15 years ago, they were probably cheaper, but, parts for the magnums are getting harder and harder to find, and the prices folks want for their parts reflect that rarity...... Starts makin' an LS or Hemi swap look pretty good.

Another alternative would be to just throw a crate motor at it. I think you can get a 300 horse 360 for under 2 grand. Of course, you would still need the custom tune to make it run up to snuff.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Headers are a must! It should be the first thing on your list. I take it you are on the younger side and haven't seen such things as tunnel rams with twin carbs on top, 6 pack motors and the like. I read a article about air flow threw a motor and how it reacts at different rpm's when i was a youngster. It was very informative and there should be plenty of this sort of thing on the net today. Back then there was no internet and magazines and books where your only source for info. Why do(or should i say did) people run tunnel rams? Great flow at high rpm's, A straight line right into the head. Any time air encounters sharp bends or rough misaligned surfaces slows air down. Free flowing air is free HP. Know why hemis make more power then a conventional wedge motor of the same displacement? Flow! Ever see a wedge motor on the top fuel dragster? If you can look for a good site that explains flow porting and air characteristics threw a motor would be a great help when building a motor(or porting heads). This will help explain a lot and help you understand why the kegger is better for low end power rather then the M1or air gap. Look at the LA intake manifolds and what was available for them. Keep in mind the "magnum" motor is a modified LA motor. The LA's have been around since the 60's and had a ton of support from the aftermarket. Most of witch is gone today. A low rise duel plane intake is the way to go for low rpm power where a tunnel ram is for high. Sort of the same as kegger vs M1 although the M1 is more in the middle. An engine is an air pump but it's 8 air pumps in one. When the exhaust is coming out of a stock style exhaust manifold on one cylinder another is just opening up. The air (exhaust) is then pushing into the open valve killing flow. Headers eliminate this and help pull exhaust from a exhaust valve that just opened. As for sizing smaller is better for a street motor. Larger tubes can actually hurt power(lack of enough pull/flow of the exhaust). Personally i would spend the extra money and get decent heads(EQ's!) to start with. The stockers you may spend hours on porting and may develop a crack then you will be back to square one. Sorry if this came off as a history lesson but it's the way old schoollers learned it and is true today.

Here is link you may find interesting...
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/manifolds.html

Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 PM
u1753
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is answering a lot of questions I've been thinking about asking. Thanks for all the information even though I'm not the one asking for it. The more I read these forum posts the less sure I am of what exactly it is that I want to do to my truck. If it's appropriate I'd like to ask a question that is related to some of the content of the thread. Not intending to hijack this thread but I didn't want to start another thread if it wasn't necessary. 5.2 with that comp cam (20-622-9) mentioned by Skeptic, with upgraded springs and headers. Will I regret not getting the tuner at the same time? Is it even driveable?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:31 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!!! but still,missing the start point of more info on Magnum Motors.to make tq & hp.Look for 2 Mopar books.Mopar Street Trucks(P5007522) Magnum Engines 2nd Edition Catalog( P5007610) and Mopar Performance Catalog (P5007802).You might enjoy the reading of Mopar gearheads about Magnum motors.Things that work with lots of history of parts and R&D.You stated you want too learn" whats up with MOPAR".On line Mopar parts or parts counter, bookstores should be able to find them,They are worth there weight in gold!!Would have sent my old stuff but gave them away yrs ago.Hope you stick with it and build a "HOT DODGE"truck............................