2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How much of the old cork gasket do you REALLY have to get off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 PM
chevelle68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got lucky, sometime in the past a shop replaced the gasket with a thick/rigid plastic re-usable gasket. torqued it down worked prefect. added a drain plug too. had no idea about the bands otherwise would have done it.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaa3
The drain plug seems like a great idea...even if you are planning on a full drain and filter every 25K, it could make it a lot easier to avoid the mess. I went to great lengths to avoid trans fluid on the floor...still got some.

Maybe in 2-3 years when I drop it again.
Yeah, without the drain plug, it's messy as hell. Forgot to say that I added a few extra magnets to the bottom of the pan too, before I buttoned it back up. The filters don't need to be changed that often, especially if one is draining and filling on a regular basis. I will probably change the filters every 80K, or so. I believe the FSM says severe duty is 60K and normal duty, 120K, for the filter.