2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Bumper replacment and questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:42 PM
J3cubfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper replacment and questions..

I want to replace the dented chrome bumper on my 2000 SLT. What type of project is involved in removing and replacing the bumper?

Old 11-27-2005, 03:39 PM
draftingmonkey
Captain
Default RE: Front Bumper replacment and questions..

If I had a scanner I could scan the pages from the manual. From what I can see you need to make sure the bumper is supported so you don't get konked on the noggin when it's loose.

Remove the bolts attaching the front bumper outer bracket to the outer frame rail, then remove the nuts and stud plates that attach the front bumper to the end of the frame rail and if equipped disengage the wires to the fog lights.

If you take your time and study how it is attached before you begin it should be fairly easy.

Good luck and if I can find a scanner I will at least send you a diagram of the assembly drawing.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

all it is, is 6 bolts, and disconecting the fog lights if you have them. The bumper itself isnt overly heavy, one person can carry it around, so just get a friend over to help you hold it.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:51 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I had to R and R mine in order to install the OEM foglamps. It can be done by yourself, and the hardest bolts to get at were the ones that mount to the front frame horns. The plastic bumper fascia's also had to be removed as well, and once you see how they're done, it really isn't that big of a deal. Installing the bumper was relatively easy. I just stood in front of it and used my knees to hold it against the frame horn attachments while I started a couple of bolts. The rest was all easy!! Well.................relatively that is. <BG>

Old 11-28-2005, 02:00 PM
J3cubfan

Cool thanks guys...

Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
01ramclassic
All Star

one thing that can be a hassle when putting the bumper back on is to make sure it is straight. Be sure and eyeball it good or even measure. There is room for error when putting it back on. but other than that it is relatively easy to take it off. Impact wrench is a big help too, saves time with less cursing too. A good pair of plyers is needed to take off the upper bumper cover, and I think that you'll need to get some new plastic pop rivets for everything else, but I'm not sure on that. The best price I found for bumpers was on ebay.com I had to get a bumper not too long ago and it costed me about 400 at the body shop. I've seen them go for under 300 on ebay shipping and all, and all the bumper covers too. -Tyler

Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

wow. seems like i'm not the only one that runs into stuff with the bumper.. YAY i'm not the only one doing this right now. yeah ebay is by far going to be the cheapest but i haven't found a good set yet to fit the 2001. yeah.. body shop wanted 801 to do it. i found i could do it myself for 451. now to find the money to do it...

anyone want to buy some of my junk?

Old 11-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

A good impact gun comes in handy I had to take mine off and put it back on w/new brackets when I did my body lift. I did it with one other person and it was easy.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper replacment and questions..