2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric start systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric start systems

Hey everyone, what kind of systems are you running? I don’t want to burn my truck to the ground so I want to get some input from experienced members of the forums!

Old 11-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Huh? What's an electric start system besides what we already have from the factory? Turn the key and the electric starter motor turns the flywheel.

Do you mean remote starter? I have an Excalibur system for the alarm but didn't hook up remote start as I have a stick. Plus, I can't imagine being that lazy.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmikk
Hey everyone, what kind of systems are you running? I don’t want to burn my truck to the ground so I want to get some input from experienced members of the forums!
You already have electric start.......

Old 11-27-2017, 09:30 AM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You already have electric start.......
Y’all know what I mean...

Old 11-27-2017, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I think he is referring to 'remote start'........

Old 11-28-2017, 12:15 AM
Maximillio
Professional

Ive got a Viper 5806V that I self installed in my 01. Features remote start, lock unlock with alarm (the shake sensor is rather garbage though, takes a might fine nudge/jolt to set it off no matter how sensitive you turn it or where you place it, I did ALOT of testing), as well as quite a few other feature not really useful for trucks particularly. It was NOT a straight forward install, the only reason I attempted it was because I'm an computer/electrical engineer so this wiring is rather basic to me and I did a good bit of researching into insuring the wiring would be proper, as well as probing to ensure wires when I installed it for extra care. GREAT system though, Its an 5.9V8 Automatic, so I didnt have to worry about wait to start or manual (which this system works with as far as I read), and it features a virtual tach sense to detect when the car is running (via battery voltage level detection, ie Alternator on vs not) so I didnt even have to directly hook it up to the tach, that being said sometimes it will shutoff because it detects a drop in the voltage as I'm sometimes drawing a whole butload from my battery for various things I also added haha

Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

I had a compustar combo Alarm/Remote start installed... so far have compustar installed in 4 family owned vehicles
over last 5 years with no issues