2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:38 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default control arms

Hey everyone.. How can I tell if my control arm bushings are bad? Looking at the bushings, they are cracked or weather checked. I can visually see the cracks in the rubber bushing. But I haven't figured out a way to actually tell if there's any play in them. I thought about getting a pry bar with the front end suspended in the air and seeing if I could get the axle to move, but I work on this by myself 99% of the time with no extra eyeballs or hands to assist me. Are the bushings a commonly replaced part? Is it easier just to buy a new set of control arms and slap them in vs swapping bushings?
Thanks Guys.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If you don't have a press, changing bushings can be a real drag. You have the right idea though, unload the front suspension, and see how much play you have. I've been known to bribe neighborhood kids (when I lived somewhere they were available) to help me on occasion.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:53 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you don't have a press, changing bushings can be a real drag. You have the right idea though, unload the front suspension, and see how much play you have. I've been known to bribe neighborhood kids (when I lived somewhere they were available) to help me on occasion.
I've got a ball joint press, but probably wrong tool for the job. Was hoping there might be another way, but unloaded suspension makes the most sense. So when it's up in the air, get a prybar under the axle on the front side and lift up (pushing the axle to the rear) to see if there's any play? changing bushings or the entire control arms would require an alignment after?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Eh, my bushings were visibly cracked since I bought it in 2001. I replaced the lowers with Skyjackers in 2010. They weren't hard at all since they just drop right out. The uppers though are much harder but I left those stock for my little 3" lift kit. My bet is you'd be better to spend time, money, and energy on something more important like a steering gear, ball joints, tie rods, etc. (something that makes more of a noticeable difference).

Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Eh, my bushings were visibly cracked since I bought it in 2001. I replaced the lowers with Skyjackers in 2010. They weren't hard at all since they just drop right out. The uppers though are much harder but I left those stock for my little 3" lift kit. My bet is you'd be better to spend time, money, and energy on something more important like a steering gear, ball joints, tie rods, etc. (something that makes more of a noticeable difference).
Thanks ramman. Yeah, I'm saving up for a redhead gear box, I know that will tighten things up quite a bit. For the control arms, I've been chasing a small clunking sound when driving. Everything else has been replaced or is tight (exception of small movement on bottom ball joints both sides), but had a friend say his clunking was his control arms so this got me wondering about my control arms. For sure I think my steering gear is worn out as I'm chasing it from center line to fog line.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I don't think a ball joint press is the best tool for the job..... If you weren't on the other side of the friggin' continent, I'd just have ya bring it over, and we could do it up. If you have another form of transportation, might be able to get a shop to press the bushings out/in for ya..... I know we did that for folks for cheap. Replacing the entire arms might turn out to be cheaper though.... and it is certainly easier.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

He's in Spokane IIRC while I'm north of Seattle but still too far to help. I agree that just swapping in replacement arms is way easier, faster, and will have a greater effect at tightening up the suspension. I noticed a tighter feel when going to the T steering although that came with its own problems.

Get the Redhead asap. But be careful as it will be very tight with little return. It may loosen up a bit over time but mine is still quite tight after a year. Makes me drive with a death grip but at least I'm not soiling myself by swerving all over the road going over passes.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:45 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

I installed these control arms on my truck when I rebuilt the front suspension a while back and have been very happy with them - no issues whatsoever.

https://www.spohn.net/shop/1994-1999...2500-3500.html

Old 11-27-2017, 07:50 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by Ramman18
He's in Spokane IIRC while I'm north of Seattle but still too far to help. I agree that just swapping in replacement arms is way easier, faster, and will have a greater effect at tightening up the suspension. I noticed a tighter feel when going to the T steering although that came with its own problems.

Get the Redhead asap. But be careful as it will be very tight with little return. It may loosen up a bit over time but mine is still quite tight after a year. Makes me drive with a death grip but at least I'm not soiling myself by swerving all over the road going over passes.
Correct! South of spokane. Man you guys are very generous offering to help if you were closer. By tight you mean tough to turn the wheel?

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I installed these control arms on my truck when I rebuilt the front suspension a while back and have been very happy with them - no issues whatsoever.

Dang those look gnarly. Little too rich for my blood though and too fancy of parts for my truck lol

Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 PM
chromed95
Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an adjustment on the control arm for alignment? I see there's a washer with hash marks on it. Maybe to keep the axle centered front to back?