2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil in radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Shona
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in radiator

I have had issues with my truck recently. First let me start by saying I have a 95 Dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive, 318 engine. 279,000 miles.
My water pump went out. I replaced that, but it was still leaking so I figured it had to be a defective pump so replaced it again, but instead of fighting that fan clutch again, I just bought a new one. After putting it back together the second time, I was overheating again. Read a few threads, found out it could be my timing cover seal. When I went to disassemble the truck again, I grabbed a bucket for my antifreeze and it looked like straight oil coming out. I checked my oil, I don't see any traces of antifreeze in the oil so I check transmission fluid, no antifreeze there either.
I have never let my truck overheat much past the halfway mark. I have actually never had a problem in the 10 years I have owned it. Regular maintenance is all I have ever had to do to this truck. I did read where the radiator could be busted internally. My question is, is it still possible that the head gasket could be blown? I have been consuming more than normal amounts of oil with no obvious leaks detected but that's been going on for a few years now. I would hate to replace the radiator and it end up being the head gasket. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shona; 11-29-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There really isn't any way for engine oil to find it's way into the radiator, short of a catastrophic failure of the engine. Highly likely the oil you see is actually trans fluid, as there IS a trans cooler in the radiator. Not an uncommon failure point. Easy fix though, replace the radiator.

Welcome to DF!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Dodge dude426

It vary well could be a blown head gasket because that would allow the oil and coolant to mix via the coolant passages in the block, as far as your overheating problem have you thought about a sticking thermostat or a blocked coolant passage? Not always a water pump. I hope that helps.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge dude426
It vary well could be a blown head gasket because that would allow the oil and coolant to mix via the coolant passages in the block, as far as your overheating problem have you thought about a sticking thermostat or a blocked coolant passage? Not always a water pump. I hope that helps.
In the magnum motors, there is no pressurized oil anywhere near the coolant passages. It just unpressurized oil running down the return channels back to the crank case. It's possible for coolant to get into the oil, but, barring some truly horrid failure in the engine, oil can't get into the pressurized cooling system.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Dodge dude426
Default Why didn't i know that

O yeah your right, I forgot about that I don't know what I was thinking I guess some other engine.