2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 3500 v10 auto 4x4 dually - Cooling and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Since you have the torque monster V-10.... you could probably go an inch or so taller than what you have with those gears, without bogging things down... but, if you wanna go larger, re-gearing will become almost a requirement.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:45 PM
N9ninchd
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gents!
I have executed some decisions, and worked with a transmission vendor that I now really like to work with. Not the cheapest endeavor but straight up made a HUGE difference.
Turns out the transmission was pretty much eaten up. 2nd gear was toast, and 3rd was on it's way out.
In the process of discovery, my truck had 3.21's in the pumpkins.
Transmission was rebuilt, ported, drilled, and had the multi-piece input and output shafts changed to single piece billet aluminum.
There is a huge change to be made when it comes to the pressures on some of the angles, and springs.
I used to be able to feel the kick down pressure point, now my pedal is almost like it's not there, so easy.
Changed the gears from 3.21 to 4.10 front and rear.
Removed the split drive-shaft for a single because I did end up putting a gear vendor gear splitter in there.

I have now doubled my miles per gallon. Towing without OD and split I am cruising at 1800 rpm at 60mph with my foot hardly on the accelerator. Where as before my foot was mostly buried.
When empty I can overdrive my overdrive and run at 1600 RPM @ 70mph with such a light touch. 15 MPG empty so far.
MASSIVE difference in towing - it behaves like I would have originally expected it to. With such torque available the transmission was just horrid. Now it is a dream.

Was this pricing... you bet it was - am I going to keep this truck forever now... absolutely!

Old 09-18-2020, 09:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by N9ninchd
Gents!
I have executed some decisions, and worked with a transmission vendor that I now really like to work with. Not the cheapest endeavor but straight up made a HUGE difference.
Turns out the transmission was pretty much eaten up. 2nd gear was toast, and 3rd was on it's way out.
In the process of discovery, my truck had 3.21's in the pumpkins.
Transmission was rebuilt, ported, drilled, and had the multi-piece input and output shafts changed to single piece billet aluminum.
There is a huge change to be made when it comes to the pressures on some of the angles, and springs.
I used to be able to feel the kick down pressure point, now my pedal is almost like it's not there, so easy.
Changed the gears from 3.21 to 4.10 front and rear.
Removed the split drive-shaft for a single because I did end up putting a gear vendor gear splitter in there.

I have now doubled my miles per gallon. Towing without OD and split I am cruising at 1800 rpm at 60mph with my foot hardly on the accelerator. Where as before my foot was mostly buried.
When empty I can overdrive my overdrive and run at 1600 RPM @ 70mph with such a light touch. 15 MPG empty so far.
MASSIVE difference in towing - it behaves like I would have originally expected it to. With such torque available the transmission was just horrid. Now it is a dream.

Was this pricing... you bet it was - am I going to keep this truck forever now... absolutely!
Who was the vendor?

Old 09-20-2020, 02:38 PM
N9ninchd
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Work was done at Proven Force in Osseo - Splitter was from Gear Vendors

Old 09-20-2020, 07:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by N9ninchd
Work was done at Proven Force in Osseo - Splitter was from Gear Vendors
Good to know!