2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tail Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail Light Wiring

Can anyone take a picture of the taillight harness? Specifically how it runs from side to side and how it plugs in?

I pulled mine off several months ago when I removed my bed. Stupidly thinking it would be easy to put back, I didn't take pictures. Now I can't figure out how this thing goes. There are two extra plugs, one male and one female that I can't figure out if connect to themselves, or where they go. These are the same plugs the tail light takes, so I also am not really sure which ones go to the tail lights, or where these other two go. I also can't find a way to run them so the ground strap is anywhere near a small screw to ground it on. Where does this ground go?

I appreciate any help I can get it.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A good repair manual should have a diagram of how your truck is wired, or look online for a wiring diagram.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:41 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've looked in the factory service manual as I thought it would have it, but I'm having no luck finding it in there. If anyone sees it, please let me know. It has a wiring diagram showing the circuits, but not how the wires run and what they plug into. I've also spent an hour or so searching online with no luck. That's why I'm hoping someone can take a few pictures of how it is run.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

8W-90-25.... in the 01 service manual. Not sure how useful that pic will be though.....

Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
8W-90-25.... in the 01 service manual. Not sure how useful that pic will be though.....
Thank you for referring me to that page. Looking at it at work I thought it was going to be extremely helpful, but after getting home and looking at the truck, I realized that my wiring harness looks nothing like the one in the service manual. The right tail light plug (I assume) and the license plate light are on the passenger side wire. The other side has what looks like a tail light plug, a license plate light, a relay with wires running to the trailer light plug, a ground strap, and two additional plugs that I have no idea what they are. I can only assume these hook together? The wire is also extremely long like it runs to the other side, but none of the plugs reach to the other side as it's too tight where it comes out of the trailer connector. I'm really kicking myself for not taking pictures when taking this apart. No one on Facebook has been able to provide any pictures of how theirs is setup, so I'm really at a loss.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Thank you for referring me to that page. Looking at it at work I thought it was going to be extremely helpful, but after getting home and looking at the truck, I realized that my wiring harness looks nothing like the one in the service manual. The right tail light plug (I assume) and the license plate light are on the passenger side wire. The other side has what looks like a tail light plug, a license plate light, a relay with wires running to the trailer light plug, a ground strap, and two additional plugs that I have no idea what they are. I can only assume these hook together? The wire is also extremely long like it runs to the other side, but none of the plugs reach to the other side as it's too tight where it comes out of the trailer connector. I'm really kicking myself for not taking pictures when taking this apart. No one on Facebook has been able to provide any pictures of how theirs is setup, so I'm really at a loss.
I'll give it a shot, if I can get the picture in the dark...

Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at a Haynes repair manual, for the '94 thru '01 Dodge pickups, Page 12-34, there are 6 rear lighting wiring diagrams that you might want to look at. And refer to the "Symbols" pages so you can understand it.

Last edited by Torxhead; 12-04-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:52 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

camera not cooperating in the dark. basically, traverses down the inside of the frame, around shock mount, under the spare tire mount, t's off and goes across the bed framing to each tail light... not sure that helps.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Thank you for the help guys! I sat down with it and figured out which plugs go where. Once I did that, I'm not exactly sure how they originally ran, but I used zip ties to run them across in a way that will work. I also added a small screw to hook the ground strap to the bed. I'm still not sure where it originally went. Everyone was a big help.