2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How Warm Should my Truck Get with a 180 Degree T-Stat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

How's the clear coat? Mine started going in 2014 and it's really bad now. But I got 15 years out of a black truck being always parked outside so I can't complain.

My driver's door is starting to rust at the pinch mold too. Could you get a new lower door and weld in then just bed liner it? That would be a cool two-tone contrast to it but not break the bank.

I miss seeing these trucks everywhere as they are the best looking trucks ever built! Man! Have you seen the 5th gens? barf. At least there's still a bunch around out here being no salt and totally Dodge country. Once you hit Montana, it becomes Dodge Ram world. It's awesome.

Yes, the bypass hose should have a bead of sealant around it where it enters the water pump. The pipe is pretty loose and the o-ring barely fits anyway. Turns out I had to do it twice to get it right. Have to insert it into the hole while setting the hook into the bolt tightly first, then tighten down. I initially put it into the pump, then installed the bolt and it didn't seal well that way.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Are you talking about the return line for the heater core??

Old 12-06-2017, 12:21 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the clear coat? Mine started going in 2014 and it's really bad now. But I got 15 years out of a black truck being always parked outside so I can't complain.
It's just starting to wear through the clear coat on a spot in the hood. Other than that, it's not bad yet.
My driver's door is starting to rust at the pinch mold too. Could you get a new lower door and weld in then just bed liner it? That would be a cool two-tone contrast to it but not break the bank.
I thought about this, but it doesn't really help me bed issue as where it's rusting (only about the size of a quarter now) I'd have to go up to high. I'm not sure what I'm going to go. I may tackle it next summer. Or I may try to find some rust free just k yard parts.

I miss seeing these trucks everywhere as they are the best looking trucks ever built! Man! Have you seen the 5th gens? barf. At least there's still a bunch around out here being no salt and totally Dodge country. Once you hit Montana, it becomes Dodge Ram world. It's awesome.
Yeah, for me I have some strange attachment to my truck. For a while now I've said the next owner of my truck will be the junk yard. I just don't think I can let it go. I know it's not the greatest truck in the world, but I've had it for 13 years and I have a lot of memories that go with it. That combined with the fact that when I need a truck enough to have one, but I can't justify spending $50k plus on a new one that would barely get used makes me willing to spend some money keeping mine running. I can do a lot of work to mine for $10,000 and still be a fraction of the cost of a new truck and I'll be able to do the things I need a truck for just as well, if not better that if I had a new one. So for me getting something else just doesn't make sense.

Yes, the bypass hose should have a bead of sealant around it where it enters the water pump. The pipe is pretty loose and the o-ring barely fits anyway. Turns out I had to do it twice to get it right. Have to insert it into the hole while setting the hook into the bolt tightly first, then tighten down. I initially put it into the pump, then installed the bolt and it didn't seal well that way.
Are you talking about the metal tube with the o ring that goes in the water pump on the driver's side and the heater core return hose hooks to? I did use rtv on this.

The bypass hose is the short rubber hose that runs from the top of the water pump to the intake manifold. I didn't use any sealant on it. I'm hoping I don't have to redo any of this, but if I do at least I know how to do it now.

Now I've just got to decide what to do about the exhaust. I used to have a dual exhaust with a Flowmaster 40 and I loved it. However, after it rusted out I just welded up a pipe with no muffler and a turn down at the axle. It didn't sound nearly as good, but was a fraction of the price of the dual exhaust. I'm not sure I want to spend $450 on another dual exhaust that didn't last that long, so I'm debating doing a Flowmaster with a turndown or just another piece of pipe with no muffler for a turn down. I know which one sounds better, but I also know which one is cheaper and will hold up better, so it's a tough decision for me. I'm hoping to attack that next week.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-06-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, yes, yes. I'm sorry guys. I meant the stupid metal pipe that goes in the pump. The heater hose. Got my terms mixed up. It gave me so much grief this year that I was thinking through rage.

I'm in the same boat with the exhaust! I had a beautiful custom exhaust with a flowmaster delta 50 with dual 4" angle tips out the side. Loved it! One of the pipes finally broke last year so I threw on a pipe and a glasspack. Sounds okay. Miss the setup! It actually freed up a bit of power though going to the Thrush.