2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 v10 will not start pleassssse help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Snjram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 v10 will not start pleassssse help

I've posted on 5 forums so far no luck on figuring this out i've done so many test i feel like im forgetting something : has new batt 12.6 @ terminals ,has fuel pressure of 45 psi no leak down what so ever has injector pulse at all injectors , has spark at all cylinders, compression is 160 @ all cylinders can't warm it up to do it right, ASD relay is functional , plugs are coated in fuel after every crank session , I put in 3 weeks of diagnostics don't wanna start throwing parts at it, was throwing crank and cam sensor codes when purchased they were replaced codes are gone but if i unplug any sensor it throws the appropriate code, wiring at sensors does not drop at pcm connection ohms or signal , voltage
finally broke down (myself) and took it the only shop that says they seen a couple down here south jersey (Salem county) all they can tell me after having it a month is the crank sensor is reading intermittent (waves are square just stops never the same position )I have 3 of them switching gives you the same reading, crank trigger is fine also I'm getting it back this week looking for a fresh start after 7 weeks of hell before the holidays
Any input would be greatly appreciated it was a family friend's vehicle I know what its been through , i serviced and r&r on it since 2006 so it hasn't slipped the timing chain or dropped a valve

1996 ram 2500 v10 5speed 2wd 190k

Last edited by Snjram; 12-16-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

What does the PCM think engine temp is?

Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Snjram
I've posted on 5 forums so far no luck on figuring this out i've done so many test i feel like im forgetting something : has new batt 12.6 @ terminals ,has fuel pressure of 45 psi no leak down what so ever has injector pulse at all injectors , has spark at all cylinders, compression is 160 @ all cylinders can't warm it up to do it right, ASD relay is functional , plugs are coated in fuel after every crank session , I put in 3 weeks of diagnostics don't wanna start throwing parts at it, was throwing crank and cam sensor codes when purchased they were replaced codes are gone but if i unplug any sensor it throws the appropriate code, wiring at sensors does not drop at pcm connection ohms or signal , voltage
finally broke down (myself) and took it the only shop that says they seen a couple down here south jersey (Salem county) all they can tell me after having it a month is the crank sensor is reading intermittent (waves are square just stops never the same position )I have 3 of them switching gives you the same reading, crank trigger is fine also I'm getting it back this week looking for a fresh start after 7 weeks of hell before the holidays
Any input would be greatly appreciated it was a family friend's vehicle I know what its been through , i serviced and r&r on it since 2006 so it hasn't slipped the timing chain or dropped a valve

1996 ram 2500 v10 5speed 2wd 190k
These truck really only like OEM sensors. Many cases in here where a guy bought a crank sensor at (insert auto parts store) didn't start, bought a Mopar unit and it started. HeyYou should come in he's our V-10 expert. I swear he owned them all so he can tell you what's wing with yours (as he owned it before ) and he knows where they all are

Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Snjram

Thanks for answering so quickly guys the engine temp reads between 60-65 and cooler as the day goes on , I can find the cheap knock offs all over eBay and amazon i think they're brand is standard something the OEM sensor is proving to be quite a challenge just see in a google search

Old 12-17-2017, 09:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is that what the PCM sees for temp?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Snjram

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is that what the PCM sees for temp?
to the be the best of my knowledge it is I have a regular actron scanner for codes , but for sensor values and wave forms I use one of those Bluetooth obd2 and torque pro and those temps are from mid November when it was 60- 65 it showed 4 digits though ie 63.56 F I just rounded up for my logs

Gonna try to get it back today so I get my hands dirty

Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand spark plugs you have in there?

Old 12-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Snjram

Champion truck plugs, I just talked to the mechanic he said 100% the ecm is fine the motor for its age is in good runnable condition
its locating the OEM sensor he's having trouble with ( me too )
Is really worth 225 plus shipping for a used OEM ?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Change the plugs. I am not a fan of champions. They foul out once, and they never work right again.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Change the plugs. I am not a fan of champions. They foul out once, and they never work right again.
I know the V-8s recommended champions... Unless you know otherwise

Quick Reply: 96 v10 will not start pleassssse help