2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l Not shifting in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:42 AM
Josh Evans
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l Not shifting in overdrive

I have a 97Dodge 1500 with the 5.2 liter it’s showing two codes a p0753 and a p0783 the truck drives and shifts through all the gears smooth doesn’t jerk just won’t shift into overdrive. At 60mph my rpms almost 3000. Fluid level is good no burnt smell and color is good. Trans doesn’t slip what can I do to fix it or what sensor or is it a solenoid?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Verify the wiring to the trans first. If that looks good, probably just a failed solenoid.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:29 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Verify the wiring to the trans first. If that looks good, probably just a failed solenoid.
Hey You, is

there a speed pick up in the rear diff? My old Dakota had one that went bad, that is how it acted?

Old 12-30-2017, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, there is a rear wheel speed sensor, but, it's just for the ABS system on the 97 and older trucks. PCM gets vehicle speed from the VSS in the tailhousing of the t-case, or trans. (depending on four, or two wheel drive, respectively.)

Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

P0753 Trans 3-4 Shift Solenoid/Trans Relay Circuits
P0783 3-4 Shift Solenoid, No RPM Drop @ Lockup
If you are going to do the 3-4 solenoid mite as well do them all.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:04 AM
JCB.RAM

Hello all! New here, with a new-used 96 Ram 1500. I too am having problems shifting into overdrive. However mine is intermittent. From what I can tell so far, it seems the problem occurs after driving a couple dozen miles. When it works, I'm at around -1250 RPM at 55 MPH. When it doesn't shift, I'm at about 2000. I haven't checked for error codes. Fluid level is good. While writing it occurred to me that I haven't tried the OD dash switch when it doesn't shift. Could that have anything to do with it? Because mine is intermittent, what should I look at first?

[edit] I failed to mention... the column shifter indicator is also slightly out of alignment. I've tried to find a how-to for this but haven't found one yet. It's not so far off that I have problems getting it into gear or anything but wonder if that could have anything to do with going into OD? And any advice on how to correct it would be Awesome.

Thanx

Last edited by JCB.RAM; 10-28-2022 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can download the service manual for your truck from here. Everything you wanna know about how to fix your truck is in there.

The PRNDL in the dash won't affect how the trans shifts..... I usually don't pay attention to mine in any event, just make sure the shifter is in the slot.

Scan for codes, your local parts store should be able to help you with that for free. Be sure and check pending codes as well.

Does the trans temp light ever come on??

Old 10-28-2022, 12:30 PM
JCB.RAM

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can download the service manual for your truck from here. Everything you wanna know about how to fix your truck is in there.

The PRNDL in the dash won't affect how the trans shifts..... I usually don't pay attention to mine in any event, just make sure the shifter is in the slot.

Scan for codes, your local parts store should be able to help you with that for free. Be sure and check pending codes as well.

Does the trans temp light ever come on??
Yeah, thanks, I just grabbed the service manual a while after my previous post.
The shifter indicator is off by one, but drops into gear, no problem. Didn't think it should cause the OD problem but thought I'd better ask.
No temp indicator, but the missed OD does seem to relate to warming up -- as told, it only seems to happen after some miles. I really haven't had it long enough, or drove it enough to notice much more than that.

Thanx

Old 10-28-2022, 01:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a scanner that can read live data? Would be interesting to see what trans temp is after a few miles..... if it gets too hot, PCM will disable O/D, and that usually happens before the temp light actually comes on.....

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l Not shifting in overdrive