2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brakes that don't brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 PM
somethingfunny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry brakes that don't brake

so I have a 98 2500 Ram with I believe all wheel anti-lock, had to repair/replace some lines, everything after ABS, I've pushed 2 quarts of fluid through the system and when I test drove, first time Applying brakes...straight to the floor like it blew a line and when I let up ABS activated. I did regain some brakes but not enough to drive with, pedal is still squishy. What am I missing? Bad master cylinder? Still got air in system? WTF!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If have heard of a lot of guys having issues bleeding a brake system and having issues. Usually its when the fluid gets drained out of the proportioning valve. When you bleed the system, make sure you start with the longest line first, then work your way to the shortest. I use the bleeder cups you can get at most auto parts stores, always having fluid over the inside tube and eliminating all the bubbles. And it does take a lot of fluid to do the whole system, recording mileage and date.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Is the brake lite on? Does it come on when you step on the brake?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:52 PM
somethingfunny

The brake light did, but I have since bleed the valve out, now there just soft without any light. Guess ill just push more fluid through must be air somewhere.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by somethingfunny
The brake light did, but I have since bleed the valve out, now there just soft without any light. Guess ill just push more fluid through must be air somewhere.
There is a special way to bleed 4 wheel abs brakes. Also did you bench bleed the master cylinder? There is also a valve that can get stuck and you may have to replace. You also may have to reset the ABS valve and ABS computer.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

so I have a 98 2500 Ram with I believe all wheel anti-lock, had to repair/replace some lines, everything after ABS, I've pushed 2 quarts of fluid through the system and when I test drove, first time Applying brakes...straight to the floor like it blew a line and when I let up ABS activated. I did regain some brakes but not enough to drive with, pedal is still squishy. What am I missing? Bad master cylinder? Still got air in system? WTF!
I have seen the rubber cups in the MC tear if the pedal was full stroked while the system was being bled, when this happens you will get a sinking pedal. I usually vac bleed, and if I have to pump, just use short strokes. I do do know that some Chrysler products had a weird master cylinder that worked fine, but, if you really pressed hard on the pedal they would sink to the floor, Chrysler told me this was normal, apparently they had a bypass in them to prevent them from overpressuring, however, I don't believe they have used that system since the 80's.

Last edited by V65Ozzie; 01-25-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:41 PM
somethingfunny

Still struggling with the brakes, bled everything, master cylinder, proportioning valve, abs module, each wheel independently starting with left rear and ending with right front. Went for a test drive 25mph push on the brakes and abs pump kicks on, pedal hard as a rock but little braking affect, lights on dash didn't';t come on, go a little further same thing except light does come on when I let off brake pedal. What the F! Anybody?

Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Still struggling with the brakes, bled everything, master cylinder, proportioning valve, abs module, each wheel independently starting with left rear and ending with right front. Went for a test drive 25mph push on the brakes and abs pump kicks on, pedal hard as a rock but little braking affect, lights on dash didn't';t come on, go a little further same thing except light does come on when I let off brake pedal. What the F! Anybody?
Almost like your ABS system isn't working right. If ABS kicked in at 25 Ruth you barely touching the brakes, that's not normal.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Getting vacuum boost for your brakes? Is the pedal always rock hard?

Old 02-24-2018, 02:11 PM
somethingfunny

ok so my latest mis-step, I eliminated the ABS, just bypassed it, bleed system, pedal is hard when truck is off and mushy when its running and now back brakes aren't releasing fir ****, time to part it out and scrap it? Yes its getting vacuum, that's probably the problem, brake pedal hard when I unplug vacuum lead and mushy when I plug back in. Only bought this truck because its the same year as my other one that just died, figured I could swap parts and make one work right, so far no luck, now I have 2, 20 year old POS sitting in my driveway and probably could have bought a running truck with the $ I'm wasting.

Quick Reply: brakes that don't brake