2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash top, aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:49 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash top, aftermarket?

As is the case with most of these trucks, my dash is shot, it has a cheap plastic cover over it, but the lower section is broken at most of the mount points, meaning my guages are pretty much duct taped in. A couple of hours at the JY got me a lower section that is completely unbroken, guy charged me 20 bucks for it, I was covered in sweat and dust and out in 100 degree temps getting it, I think he felt sorry for me. Ok, it's the wrong color, but I can get plastic paint for 10 bucks, but, I digress. Does any company make an actual replacement top part(not the cover)? Dodge wants a huge amount of dosh for one.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Default Dash top, aftermarket?

As is the case with most of these trucks, my dash is shot, it has a cheap plastic cover over it, but the lower section is broken at most of the mount points, meaning my guages are pretty much duct taped in. A couple of hours at the JY got me a lower section that is completely unbroken, guy charged me 20 bucks for it, I was covered in sweat and dust and out in 100 degree temps getting it, I think he felt sorry for me. Ok, it's the wrong color, but I can get plastic paint for 10 bucks, but, I digress. Does any company make an actual replacement top part(not the cover)? Dodge wants a huge amount of dosh for one.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:57 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Check LMC.COM you will find lots of goodies for your Ram.Just a thought............................

Old 01-24-2018, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

LMC Truck, and also Geno's Garage.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Merged duplicate posts.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:42 AM
jlake4130
Professional

instead of plasti dip go to the dodge dealer and get a can of spray paint that matches your interior. You'll need your vin.
I did this for painting my dash "cover" and the paint was just about spot on! Granted it was $20.00 for a spray paint can half the size of a normal can.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just as a side note for the intrepid mad monks that've boldly gone where few dare to go with these glassy dashes...I replaced mine awhile back. I tried n tried to remount a new one WITHOUT removing the entire dash ***'y to no avail and great frustration, gnashing of teeth and spewing words that still hang thick in the atmosphere to this day above my house. Do your self a solid n just remove the entire dash ***'y, I discovered that it's amazingly easy and it took me around an hour to do. I took the ***'y to my mancave, cleaned the HVAC n had the new dash mounted in roughly 2 hours. I remounted the ***'y with the new dash n had ol' blue up n going in about another 2 hours. N lest we forget, with the dash ***'y out, you have UNPRECEDENTED access to the HVAC system to reseal and/or repair the plenum doors...IF your so inclined!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:02 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine pretty much fell apart when I took it out to change the heater core. I bought one of the cheap plastic covers flipped it over, propped it up carefully with blocks and shims of wood, sprayed it with mold release agent (pam cooking spray can work pretty well) and pieced the original dash together using the cover as a mold. put a good layer of marine layup epoxy and glass cloth on the entire bottom of it, including adding support for mount points and let it harden thoroughly. then flipped it over and did the same on the top... once it was completely set up, sanded the few rough parts and drips smooth, shot a coat of primer on it, installed it and secured the cover (painted with interior matching SEM paint made for interior plastic) over the top of the now very sturdy, fiberglass reenforced dash... that was 4-5 years ago and it's doing great...

Old 01-25-2018, 08:24 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Originally Posted by jlake4130
instead of plasti dip go to the dodge dealer and get a can of spray paint that matches your interior. You'll need your vin.
I did this for painting my dash "cover" and the paint was just about spot on! Granted it was $20.00 for a spray paint can half the size of a normal can.
I get my local NAPA to mix up the plastic paint in a spray can for about 10 bucks, they do pretty good matching the colors for me. Not talking about plastic dip, ......man, I haven't used that stuff in years. I'm old enough to remember when it first came out, we were using it on everything, until we discovered it's shortcomings. I probably still have a can or two that is solidified on a shelf somewhere🤣

Quick Reply: Dash top, aftermarket?