2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clear CEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM
shortlid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear CEL

I have a blue tooth OBD II reader that ties in with my smart phone. It csn read codes on my 1997 2500 5.9 auto. However the clear CEL function is not working. Any tricks to these early OBD II's

Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 locations....

Generally , when you get an O2 code the scan tool will point the way. You will see a B1S1 or a combination of the B and S numbers. The B stands for Bank. Bank 1 will always be the bank with number 1 cylinder, Bank 2 will always be the other side. Note: inline engines will never have a B2 code. S1 or S2 will denote the sensor position, 1 being the first in the stream, 2 being the next. I believe my 99 shows an S3 code, presumably because the rear sensor is shared. Hope this little tidbit helps someone.
Clearing the codes can be finicky, on the last one I did, I had to clear the code, and the history code separately, and still had to turn the key off and interrogate the system again to verify the code was gone. This may be due the your readers programming, I don't know. Luckily, since I did the cap rotor wires and plugs, then did the O2 workaround on my '99 niner, I have been code free.
As far a driving the vehicle to be able to pass an OBD inspection. It's not a mileage thing. The vehicle had to complete certain drive cycles. In these cycles it must do certain things, eg: travel above 50 miles an hour for 8 miles, then slow to 35 for 10 miles, etc etc etc.....all these things being accumulative, meaning most vehicles can complete all the cycles in 150 miles or less, under "normal" driving conditions. Not everyone's driving conditions fall under the normal category. Where I live you can have 1 not ready code on 2001 and newer, 2 not ready on 96 to 2000 models. New vehicles are exempt (or going to be) for 3 years, 95 and older only get safety inspections, 30 years and older are exempt.

Quick Reply: Clear CEL