2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trouble shifting into 2, and slips in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Aren't some of the bolts longer than the others? If so, screw them in to spots where shorter bolts were......

Old 02-13-2018, 04:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Aren't some of the bolts longer than the others? If so, screw them in to spots where shorter bolts were......
When I rebuilt a 46RE (that was about 4 years ago) I don't think any valve body bolts are longer.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 PM
toddean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
When I rebuilt a 46RE (that was about 4 years ago) I don't think any valve body bolts are longer.
Yes there are 4 longer ones. Thank you!!
Now here's the kicker... The service manual says that my trans is the 46RH because mine is 4wd and 5.9 L. The service manual says the Accumulator piston has 2 springs, one is larger than the other. I've dropped the valve body, in fact the VB is completely out lol and there is only one spring, the larger one. Now when I search for the spring to buy it, I've only gotten results showing 1 spring for sale??
When they rebuilt my trans could they have left the smaller spring out? Because it wasn't in there!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by toddean
Yes there are 4 longer ones. Thank you!!
Now here's the kicker... The service manual says that my trans is the 46RH because mine is 4wd and 5.9 L. The service manual says the Accumulator piston has 2 springs, one is larger than the other. I've dropped the valve body, in fact the VB is completely out lol and there is only one spring, the larger one. Now when I search for the spring to buy it, I've only gotten results showing 1 spring for sale??
When they rebuilt my trans could they have left the smaller spring out? Because it wasn't in there!
Yep, 95 is 46RH. RE came about in 96.

I seem to remember something about specs changing at some point, and the second spring no longer being used....... I think there is something in MonteC's thread about it.... but, just don't recall.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:59 AM
toddean
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, 95 is 46RH. RE came about in 96.

I seem to remember something about specs changing at some point, and the second spring no longer being used....... I think there is something in MonteC's thread about it.... but, just don't recall.
please help. i dont know where or how the park rod engages the park pawl. Please hel!!!

Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

please help. i dont know where or how the park rod engages the park pawl. Please hel!!!
It just slips into a small home so to speak. If you can stick your head in there with a flashlight you will see it.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:57 AM
toddean
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
It just slips into a small home so to speak. If you can stick your head in there with a flashlight you will see it.
i can see a little bit of whats in there with a mirror and flashlight But I dont know what Im looking at.
So I dont know where to put it. I cant find a picture anywhere

Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 PM
toddean
Rookie

i can see a little bit of whats in there with a mirror and flashlight But I dont know what Im looking at.
So I dont know where to put it. I cant find a picture anywhere
Well I think I see it but but I'm not sure. And also this Auto Parts set me a spring for the accumulator. The smaller spring. It's supposed to just sit on the outside accumulator or supposed to fit down inside the tube? If it's supposed to fit in the tube of the accumulator then the spring is too big. I don't know.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:00 PM
toddean
Rookie

Her are a couple of not so good pics of the area where the parking rod goes. buy where it fits in I dont know. Does anyone know where it goes?? Im desparate, lol

Old 02-19-2018, 05:44 AM
toddean
Rookie

I just went for it got lucky. I finally felt the Park Rod go into it's spot agot it all put together and she doesn't roll in park and drives in all gears. But the problem of it slipping in 2nd and having a hard time getting into 2nd is still there. Reinstalling the anchor to the front band adj. screw/adjusting the front and rear bands did not solve the problem of slipping. what should I check now?

Quick Reply: trouble shifting into 2, and slips in 2nd