2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 5.9l transmission problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
5/16s refers to the size of the threaded portion of the bolt.
so the self tapping screw only goes in half way. what do I do now ? its a 9/16.

edit: while I slowed the leak down by adding more bolts and tightening them its still leaking so either the screws are coming loose when I drive or I need a torque wrench. I just put a bucket underneath to catch any fluid that drips doesn't matter anyway trannys probably shot. it'll shift in to second now so theres an improvement but I feel like it slips out of second but maybe I'm just being paranoid and it is shifting into third. I still have to rev it a little , about 2.5-3k to get her to shift but I have to let of the gas for it to shift too.

I drove it around the block a couple of times. at first it just reved and stayed at 10 mph but I shut her off then tried again and now she shifts like I said above. fluid level is pretty good. I did have to put 9 qts in it because I let it drain for 2 days due to being pre occupied. is there anyway to check the speed sensor or tps ? I want to atleast try that before I weigh the options of a rebuild or new tranny.

honestly I bought the truck as a daily and a beater so its really not worth a new tranny I don't think. would be a bad investment. my truck has 162k roughly so would it even be worth a rebuild or would something else go shortly after ? I hear with rebuilds its a 50/50 gamble. thanks for all the responses guys.

Last edited by RamNurA$$'01; 02-28-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Kylezdad

If it's a blind hole (doesn't go all the way through the case), then add a flat washer or two and snug it up. If the hole does pass through the lip of the case, can you put a nut on top?

Have you checked the tv cable? Possible that your shifting issue is not related to your fluid leak?

I know of a Chrysler-trained trans tech near Onsted, MI. He does side work out of his shop at home for about half the price of a garage. He does good work and stands behind it. But you may not be anywhere near there either...

Old 02-28-2018, 10:57 PM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur

Originally Posted by Kylezdad
If it's a blind hole (doesn't go all the way through the case), then add a flat washer or two and snug it up. If the hole does pass through the lip of the case, can you put a nut on top?

Have you checked the tv cable? Possible that your shifting issue is not related to your fluid leak?

I know of a Chrysler-trained trans tech near Onsted, MI. He does side work out of his shop at home for about half the price of a garage. He does good work and stands behind it. But you may not be anywhere near there either...
heres a pic. its got a little play if I tug on it and that black little cap definitely wiggles as you can see. do I need to adjust it ? how would this come loose in the first place ?

edit : also forgot to mention when I came to a stop and made a lefty when I gave it gas and turned the tranny was bucking. its kinda hard to explain. like if you where to use 4l on the street and make a sharp turn except I could hear it very clearly right underneath me where the trans is.

also forgot to mention when I went to start it the first time when It would only go like 15 tops , when I tried backing out of my parking space the engine just died on me. no nothing but the headlights/ and dash were still on so I know it wasnt electrical.

Last edited by RamNurA$$'01; 02-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

The cable stretches over time...... if it's loose, that will give you early shifts. (trans doesn't think you are stepping on the go-pedal as hard.) Adjustment procedure is in the service manual. (do you have one yet?) Two people make the job easier....

Given the issues you are having with your trans, I would be real tempted to simply replace it, and call it a day. Might be able to get a decent used one from your local junk yard. Electronics changed in 2000 though, so, you need a 2000 or newer trans, or, if you get an older one, need to change the electronics.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:32 PM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur

The cable stretches over time...... if it's loose, that will give you early shifts. (trans doesn't think you are stepping on the go-pedal as hard.) Adjustment procedure is in the service manual. (do you have one yet?) Two people make the job easier....

Given the issues you are having with your trans, I would be real tempted to simply replace it, and call it a day. Might be able to get a decent used one from your local junk yard. Electronics changed in 2000 though, so, you need a 2000 or newer trans, or, if you get an older one, need to change the electronics.
how much would I get for scrapping her ? those 2k miles where fun af while she lasted. its not worth replacing the tranny. bed has a dent in it where the rust is eating at it ( only spot on the truck where theres any real rust ,was like that when I bought it) , got pushed off the road by someone and jumped a curb and hit a sign so my front bumper is completely crumpled and theres a dent in my hood. sometimes I have to park across the street because the barber shop next door to the house always has people parking in front of our house and the city made us get rid of our driveway. so these retards have hit my rear bumper and hit the other side of of my bed causing a subtle dent and breaking my tail light lamp ( bulb still works though). truck was painted black with a cheap paint and almost all the clear coat is gone so it has a cheap satin look too it.

they also painted over everything even the rims lol. I mean it was just a beater man. A new transmisson would just be a waste of money imo.

I was gonna fix her and try to shop for a decent paint job so she looks decent when she was running good but now that the trans is done.............. was gonna find a part out and use my tax return because money was tight but its out of the question now if I can't get the tranny fixed.

Last edited by RamNurA$$'01; 03-01-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you get 300 bucks for scrap, I would be surprised......

What about a used trans??

Old 03-01-2018, 06:37 PM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur

If you get 300 bucks for scrap, I would be surprised......

What about a used trans??
I don't see any for less than 1500 :/ maybe I just don't know where to look online.

I don't think I have a coolant leak because I've checked for that but I realized a few hours ago my coolant reservoir is low cold but the radiator is filled to the brim ? does this mean anything ? when its warm its barley above the add line. can't believe I didn't realize this before. I haven't had any overheating problems.....that I know of so idk. my dad said it should be fine since theres enough in the radiator but I don't think he knows what he's talking about. maybe my trans overheated and thats what caused it to fail ? but wouldn't my engine overheat first ?

Last edited by RamNurA$$'01; 03-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hard tellin 'which would give up the ghost first. When the engine is cold, just add anti-freeze to the overflow, to the 'full cold' line, and call it a day.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:43 PM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur

Hard tellin 'which would give up the ghost first. When the engine is cold, just add anti-freeze to the overflow, to the 'full cold' line, and call it a day.
never mind. I'm not leaking coolant I have a tranny coolant line leaking though. explains why I saw some thin white smoke the other day. I thought I was leaking or burning coolant somewhere. If the leak is so hot its burning that would explain why its not making a puddle. I bet thats why my fluid kept dropping after Id drive around the corner after filling up the trans too. I bet its making my trans fluid hot too. when I checked it the first day it started acting up the fluid looked thinned out like it was hot and on the back of the dipstick it was above the hot line. it wasn't burnt or brown or anything though. it's all coming together. I'm not sure which exact line it is , its the one parrell to the trans pan on the passenger side of the transmission.

are there any write ups on how to fix this ? do I need special fittings? all I can do is fix this and any other leaks I find and hope for the best. if it doesn't workout its replacement time. I mean the shifting is mostly smooth after everything I've replaced even though its still slipping but I'm not getting my hopes up. after I got pushed off the road and hit that sign I damaged the lines. I kept looking for leaks but wasn't finding any puddles. man I'm thick.

Last edited by RamNurA$$'01; 03-02-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.9l transmission problems ?