2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually there might be a simpler way to go about this. 46rh has an available standalone controller https://www.hgmelectronics.com/produ...s/csm-chrysler . my understanding is, with the exception of the valvebody/electronics, 46rh/re are identical inside. could you not simply swap the valvebody and governor to change the re to rh?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by brian102
the tranny and stock gauge cluster are really all i'm trying to save. i'd go with a 46rh since there's a standalone controller for it, but the one i have now works great.

has anyone tried to make a standalone controller for the re? is there some voodoo reason it don't have aftermarket support there?

i know some engineers that are retired looking for projects. they used to design HP printers for the last 30+ years. not sure if i could convince them to try it, they don't seem to have much interest in working on cars. would there be much interest and what would be the price point on something like that? quick look at 4l80 controllers is between $450 for microsquirt and $1300 for the gm performance. where would the shut up and take my money price land? no idea if they will even be interested, but i like to have as much info as possible... i'm the favorite son in law to one of them, but i still get the idiot look from time to time.
Factory gauges will not work at all.
actually there might be a simpler way to go about this. 46rh has an available standalone controller https://www.hgmelectronics.com/produ...s/csm-chrysler . my understanding is, with the exception of the valvebody/electronics, 46rh/re are identical inside. could you not simply swap the valvebody and governor to change the re to rh?
They are completely different. Your tranny (RE) is completely electronic the RH tranny is hydraulic except overdrive and TCC lockup. The electronics is different the plugs (including the main connector) are different you would have to take the valve body, all electronics, and the wiring harness out and then swap in RH everything and I don't even know if they harness will got into your trans as you have a circle 8pin connector and the RH has a 4pin (no clue what shape) connector

Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 PM
brian102
Professional

well. did some more digging. looks like there may have been more options back when these things were new. that info is lost to photobucket error messages and dead links.

so at this point it's go full stoneage non od fully custom with new gauges and lose any perks to a modern vehicle. buy a built 46rh with standalone and deal with whatever headaches come messing with the engine. or shut up and stay in the walled garden of impending obsolescence.

welp... think i'll keep this thing till the wife finishes college and we get debt paid off, then i'm going shopping for a mid 2000 chevy where $1200 buys you full control over your vehicle.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 PM
brian102
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Factory gauges will not work at all.

They are completely different. Your tranny (RE) is completely electronic the RH tranny is hydraulic except overdrive and TCC lockup. The electronics is different the plugs (including the main connector) are different you would have to take the valve body, all electronics, and the wiring harness out and then swap in RH everything and I don't even know if they harness will got into your trans as you have a circle 8pin connector and the RH has a 4pin (no clue what shape) connector
it's cool. while i don't understand how a simple analog signal from temp/pressure sensor to the dash would be killed by messing with the engine in any way, i don't need to. knowing how sensors work it completely boggles my mind, but that's the next guys problem.

as for the transmission, the wiring didn't scare me. it's just a plug that needed to travel from the inside to the outside. it's just pushes through the case. if the new plug is too small you can use epoxy to change the hole size smaller, if the hole is too small, drill a bigger hole.

ultimately what i've learned is this is a poorly supported platform and doom emanates from every angle of attack. change the alternator wiring size and angry pixies will destroy your tires. so i'm just gonna keep her going down the road for a few years and trade for a popular application that is well supported.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:55 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

it's cool. while i don't understand how a simple analog signal from temp/pressure sensor to the dash would be killed by messing with the engine in any way, i don't need to. knowing how sensors work it completely boggles my mind, but that's the next guys problem.

as for the transmission, the wiring didn't scare me. it's just a plug that needed to travel from the inside to the outside. it's just pushes through the case. if the new plug is too small you can use epoxy to change the hole size smaller, if the hole is too small, drill a bigger hole.

ultimately what i've learned is this is a poorly supported platform and doom emanates from every angle of attack. change the alternator wiring size and angry pixies will destroy your tires. so i'm just gonna keep her going down the road for a few years and trade for a popular application that is well supported.
These trucks are actually really well supported. Idc what vehicle you get you will lose somethings when going to a standalone control unit. It's use the name of computerized vehicles. The computer relies on everything to work. Just like my 01 Ram with the Hemi (which had the most aftermarket support of any vehicle/engine). A simple tune with a tuner will work to adjust your transmission and engine. Any computerized vehicle is too complicated to take away the PCM and except everything to work with a standalone unit. Just won't happen. You can get a custom one made for the RE and they make them for the Magnums but you basically lose everything inside the cab. The standalone units are made for non street applications where they would redo the dash and everything. I'm sorry you feel that way about the truck and everyone has their opinions.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You can't put a mechanical governor, into a 46RE case. There is no provision for it. The case is different. (though, I do believe the mechanical governor is in the O/D housing....... but, I seriously doubt it would be that easy.)

For around 500 bucks or so, you can buy a software package that will allow you to read, edit, and re-upload tunes to the stock PCM. The vendor is even a sponsor on the site. (HP tuners)

Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM
brian102
Professional

Sorry guys, I was a little pissy last night. Didn't know about hp tuner. I found someone on Facebook that tunes. $400 unlimited tunes. Gets good reviews so I'm picking one up tonight. I'll figure this other stuff out later.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sorry guys, I was a little pissy last night. Didn't know about hp tuner. I found someone on Facebook that tunes. $400 unlimited tunes. Gets good reviews so I'm picking one up tonight. I'll figure this other stuff out later.
Hemifever or flyin' ryan off custom tunes as well. I think flyn' ryan wants to actually lay hands on the truck to do it though.... (read that: Expensive)

Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 PM
brian102
Professional

i don't blame any tuner for wanting to have the actual vehicle in front of them. i would. at least then you get a chance to look things over and see the workmanship so you know if it's you or the builder to blame when something dont work. is it well done or the ziptie special from roadkill lol.

i'm going to give this guy a chance, he has one hell of a following on facebook and all you can eat tunes. if i don't think things are going well i'll give hemi a call... if i drop 20k on a billet stroked everything monster and have a few thou left over i'll fly ryan out. shortly after i win the lotto.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

i don't blame any tuner for wanting to have the actual vehicle in front of them. i would. at least then you get a chance to look things over and see the workmanship so you know if it's you or the builder to blame when something dont work. is it well done or the ziptie special from roadkill lol.

i'm going to give this guy a chance, he has one hell of a following on facebook and all you can eat tunes. if i don't think things are going well i'll give hemi a call... if i drop 20k on a billet stroked everything monster and have a few thou left over i'll fly ryan out. shortly after i win the lotto.
Right there with ya on that one.

Quick Reply: got some questions