2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can someone explain to me how to Replace my Motor Mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 PM
GageD1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can someone explain to me how to Replace my Motor Mounts???

Is anyone able to help me understand how to replace my motor mounts on my Dodge Ram 5.9L 01?? I lately made a thread but I could not locate the motor mounts. IF anyone could guide me through a step-by-step process on how to go about this that'd be great! If there's a video even better! I would love pictures with the explanation because then I can have an idea where to look.

Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain to me how to Replace my Motor Mounts???-o.jpg  
Old 02-20-2018, 09:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Support the engine. Unbolt the old ones. Bolt in the new ones.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 PM
GageD1
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Support the engine. Unbolt the old ones. Bolt in the new ones.
Sorry, I've got you on two threads lol but let's use this one. So I took your word but I am having a hard time figuring out where they exactly are at I examined the block and the only thing I found connecting the block to the frame was a silver cylinder like object lying horizontally connecting to both sides.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I jacked up under the pan using a large block to spread the load and did one side at a time. Can also stack a block so that it grabs the pan flange (where it bolts to the block.) Doesn't take much pressure, just enough to loosen the mount.
Have you located them yet? They are large cylindrical "fists" below the exhaust manifolds. One per side. One bolt through the frame and three to the block. You can buy replacements at any auto store. I used Napa. Crawl under your bumper head first and feet out the front. The oil pan is right above your eyes. Look left and right for 5-6" iron cylinders sitting horizontally. They attach to the lower block side via three bolts on a triangle flange.

Do one side at a time.
Crack the three bolts on the block first, then unload the pressure with a jack, then remove the mount bolt. They will come out easy from underneath if memory serves but may have to reach from above. Didn't have to remove anything else. There's so much room on our trucks!
Align the new one and insert the bolt to the frame first. Then adjust the jack until you can HAND TURN the three engine side bolts in. Don't cross thread or force them. Once they are hand tight, then tighten enough to release the jack then give a final torque to them. Repeat on other side.

My passenger side was bad so the engine had sagged a lot. I had to jack that side much higher to align the new mount. Good luck and feel free to ask questions. I know there are smarty-pants on here but you don't know what you can do until you do!

Last edited by Ramman18; 02-20-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM
GageD1
Amateur

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I jacked up under the pan using a large block to spread the load and did one side at a time. Can also stack a block so that it grabs the pan flange (where it bolts to the block.) Doesn't take much pressure, just enough to loosen the mount.
Have you located them yet? They are large cylindrical "fists" below the exhaust manifolds. One per side. One bolt through the frame and three to the block. You can buy replacements at any auto store. I used Napa.
Do one side at a time.
Crack the three bolts on the block first, then unload the pressure with a jack, then remove the mount bolt. They will come out easy from underneath if memory serves but may have to reach from above. Didn't have to remove anything else. There's so much room on our trucks!
Align the new one and insert the bolt to the frame first. Then adjust the jack until you can HAND TURN the three engine side bolts in. Don't cross thread or force them. Once they are hand tight, then tighten enough to release the jack then give a final torque to them. Repeat on other side.

My passenger side was bad so the engine had sagged a lot. I had to jack that side much higher to align the new mount. Good luck and feel free to ask questions. I know there are smarty-pants on here but you don't know what you can do until you do!
What it the torque amount I should be doing them to? Also, this is the package I ordered, the transmission mount should be a piece a cake but motor mounts worry me because theres really no visual videos of people doing them.

Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain to me how to Replace my Motor Mounts???-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by GageD1
Sorry, I've got you on two threads lol but let's use this one. So I took your word but I am having a hard time figuring out where they exactly are at I examined the block and the only thing I found connecting the block to the frame was a silver cylinder like object lying horizontally connecting to both sides.
Yeah. You got two threads on the same subject. Please try to stick with one thread on one subject. Keeps the clutter down.

edit: fixed.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Can't find my Chilton's at the moment. Any manual will have it or it should be in the service manual on this website.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwD...93M0lEM1E/view

That kit looks fine but the trans mount is no picnic. You have to either jack up the trans over the vertical bolts or remove the crossmember (which is a real bear). Since the xmember is dropped in from above at the factory, it won't come out straight down but has to be removed rear-ward. I replaced the mount when I did the clutch so everything was removed.

I only see two threads. Not "multiple" ones. Be kinda nice if the moderators here helped with the actual problem instead of beating a newbie when they're down.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Can't find my Chilton's at the moment. Any manual will have it or it should be in the service manual on this website.

That kit looks fine but the trans mount is no picnic. You have to either jack up the trans over the vertical bolts or remove the crossmember (which is a real bear). Since the xmember is dropped in from above at the factory, it won't come out straight down but has to be removed rear-ward. I replaced the mount when I did the clutch so everything was removed.

I only see two threads. Not "multiple" ones. Be kinda nice if the moderators here helped with the actual problem instead of beating a newbie when they're down.
fixed the error. please accept my apologies.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:07 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

down load your service manual and print the pages you need.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:01 PM
GageD1
Amateur
Talking

I appreciate the help big time, thank you for the link to the manual, that way I can do a specific search to save time. Also, I had planned on loosening the bolts then jacking up the tranny slowly and then switching out the mount if I can. Thank you again and taking it easy on the newbie lol

Quick Reply: Can someone explain to me how to Replace my Motor Mounts???