2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can someone explain to me how to Replace my Motor Mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

The restriction pads are the two rubber discs on the outsides of the cylinder between the mount and the bracket. Exactly like the diagram pic No. 3 you posted. The inside of the cylinder is rubber that actually holds the engine and isolates the vibration/torque movement from the frame. This inside is what wears out. The outer shell is iron, and the two ends are capped with rubber "restriction pads." To help, go to napa and just ask to see one in person. It will make much more sense. Just peek at your freeze plugs and if they're fine, leave them.

Btw, how do you know your mounts are shot? The way to test is taking a big crowbar and reefing on the mount from under the truck to see if the engine moves. I had a shop do this with my truck up on a lift so I could see.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:57 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the "restriction pads" are basically there so if the mount fails, the motor doesn't try tojump out of the engine bay

Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 PM
GageD1
Amateur
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ramman18
The restriction pads are the two rubber discs on the outsides of the cylinder between the mount and the bracket. Exactly like the diagram pic No. 3 you posted. The inside of the cylinder is rubber that actually holds the engine and isolates the vibration/torque movement from the frame. This inside is what wears out. The outer shell is iron, and the two ends are capped with rubber "restriction pads." To help, go to napa and just ask to see one in person. It will make much more sense. Just peek at your freeze plugs and if they're fine, leave them.

Btw, how do you know your mounts are shot? The way to test is taking a big crowbar and reefing on the mount from under the truck to see if the engine moves. I had a shop do this with my truck up on a lift so I could see.
Motor mounts just came in from ebay, thoughts and do these seem right??
On the second pic, what is the rubber outer layer covering the inner rubber?

Old 02-24-2018, 12:00 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

That's what you're calling "restriction pads." There should be one that's over an inch thick and one about 1/2in thick, one on each side. Again, I re-used mine since the Napa kit didn't come with them.

I changed oil tonight and looked at my mounts. You will definitely need those two end rubber pieces. And the mounts are removed from above since the bolts sit in the groove.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:06 AM
GageD1
Amateur
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ramman18
That's what you're calling "restriction pads." There should be one that's over an inch thick and one about 1/2in thick, one on each side. Again, I re-used mine since the Napa kit didn't come with them.

I changed oil tonight and looked at my mounts. You will definitely need those two end rubber pieces. And the mounts are removed from above since the bolts sit in the groove.
I appreciate it big time, I will be back at my shop next weekend and I will post in here as I get to it and keep you guys posted. Also I made another fourm thread if you guys were still curious XD, its about my gas pedal it seems to be loose for some reason... the thread has more info.. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...gas-pedal.html

Quick Reply: Can someone explain to me how to Replace my Motor Mounts???