2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tv cable question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Jrbk2_99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tv cable question

I've found out what is causing my trucks weird late shifts. .when the truck is off the TV cable operates smooth. When I turn the truck on the cable feels like it is snagging up. If my truck is shifting weird and I pull over unhook the TV cable and pull it in and out then hook it back up it shifts great for a while. The cable only feels like its hanging up in some thing when the truck is running. It's a 2001 Ram 1500 5.9. Any ideas what I have to do to fix this issue. Top side of the cable moves free. Bottom side on trans moves free. I have no idea what this snag /hang up is

Old 02-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TV cable actuates the Throttle Valve in the transmission, when the engine is off, there is no hydraulic pressure to the Throttle valve, there-for it will operate smoothly.
With the engine running, there is hydraulic pressure on the Throttle Valve that will create resistance.
I am not a transmission mechanic, but from your description, this would indicate to me that something is ether worn or broken in the Throttle Valve - or - something else
in the the transmission needs adjusting or repaired.

Now as I said, I am no transmission mechanic, so I would wait for someone with more knowledge, to come along and confirm my assumption.

How many miles are on the truck ?
How is the transmission fluid level ? ( at idle, in neutral, at normal operating temp )

Old 02-24-2018, 09:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramchu
The TV cable actuates the Throttle Valve in the transmission, when the engine is off, there is no hydraulic pressure to the Throttle valve, there-for it will operate smoothly.
With the engine running, there is hydraulic pressure on the Throttle Valve that will create resistance.
I am not a transmission mechanic, but from your description, this would indicate to me that something is ether worn or broken in the Throttle Valve - or - something else
in the the transmission needs adjusting or repaired.

Now as I said, I am no transmission mechanic, so I would wait for someone with more knowledge, to come along and confirm my assumption.

How many miles are on the truck ?
How is the transmission fluid level ? ( at idle, in neutral, at normal operating temp )
I agree with this assessment. Think it's time to drop the pan, and have a look around.

Quick Reply: Tv cable question