2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wife Material

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Cwatson275
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife Material

Ok so here I go again, I know Im kinda a newb,rememer this. I cannot get overdrive to stay enguaged. In the morning before it warms up it will be off automatically or it will shut off when it gets to operating temp. It switches back and forth on days.

Now what I have done to correct or help this is I put in a new Tcc, solonoid and while I was there I did a band adjust ment. I put in a Trans go jr. shift kit which means new governing valve, overdrive boost valve retsining clip, new PR springs shim and clip, 3-4 Accumulator and bushing. cleaned govener sensor, adjusted band. New fluids cleaned whole valve body, because of drilling and filling. And did a shift linkage adjustment. Now I'm lost and I need help. Thanks hams

Last edited by Cwatson275; 02-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

It's off at startup in the morning? It really shouldn't do that. Nor should it switch itself on/off while you are driving. Does the Trans Temp light come on in the dash???

Going to move this to second gen ram section for ya. Welcome to DF!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:03 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If the rest is functioning fine and it passed visual inspection with the valve body out I am thinking electrical. I to am curious if the temp light is coming on. If not I would start inspecting the harness. If I remember right the o/d off button is just a ground out switch. If there is a short in that it will turn the o/d off or on randomly. I would start with were it goes into the shift lever in the column. Do you frequently adjust your steering wheel also? I almost replaced my BCM in my grand prix until I discovered shorts where the wires go into the vanity mirrors and were blowing my int. light fuse. Fixed my surging radio even.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Cwatson275
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to the drawing board.

Ok so here we are another time. The trans is out of a 2000 ram 1500 5.9L. The wiring harness 00-up, is square and the 96-99 is oval and the 96-99 has a temp sensor in it the 00 doesn't. I went to a trans shop and hard a od pressed apart so I can rebuild it and he showed me the book that said tcc with to sensor for 98-99 and tcc w/o temp sensor for 00-up. So my guess is that the tcm is looking for a temp reading and can' get one so it is throwing itself in a protect mode and won' engage overdrive. I will swap the valve body from my 98 and see what happens. Wish me luck💯💪💪💪💯

Quick Reply: Wife Material