2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailer light connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 PM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Heavy Duty Service Group
Trailer Tow Group
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
P265/75R16 OWL On/Off Road Tires (and 3.55 gears)

So it's pretty much set up as a tow vehicle.
The previous owner had a 4 pin spliced into it and that was what I was trying to get to work with it. Should this truck have 7 pin?

Old 03-27-2018, 05:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yep, that's stock. Get rid of the four pin connector and wires altogether, and get one of the adapters that simply plugs into your 7 pin. I have one, works great.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:40 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Alright, so here is what I am dealing with. This was the area that is right by the axle that I pulled off where the old 4 pin was spliced too. All these wires appeared to be spliced off and the red was super corroded and not connected to anything. I have no confirmation if the old wiring ever worked as it never did for me. When I tried to splice in a new set of a 4 pin connector I got lights, both turn signals but no brake lights to work.

Any ideas? Any connectors to buy? Thanks for all the help guys, I hope the pic helps with what I am trying to deal with.

Last edited by schmidtp; 03-27-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Look at the wiring diagrams, see which wires are supposed to do what, and then verify you have power at the wire (before the splice) at the appropriate times.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

personally when i am dealing with stuff like that i usually just check stuff like that with a test light. you need the 3 wires to power the lights and 1 wire for ground and if you test wires for power 1 by 1 as you turn things on individually it should be pretty simple to find the wires needed and get things hooked up as they should be.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:58 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

Hi All,

Wired up a new 7 pin blade to the truck and bought a test light to do it along the way. All works as expected except the brakes still.

When I use the test light while having the brakes applied it lights up on 12V, Left, Right, and Ground. Can anyone with more electronic knowledge tell me why when the brakes are applied the ground is powering up the light and what can I do to fix this?

Edit: Did some google searching, could it be possible that when the brakes are applied since that is sending through the most power I may not have a sufficient ground?

Thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by schmidtp; 03-29-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:21 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Got it to work, it must have been a weak ground coming from the original wiring so I just cleaned off a piece on the frame and bolted the ground to there and now it works.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:26 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds about right. when you got a weak or bad ground the brake/turn signal wires can supply the running lights circuit with a ground but once you touch the brakes you power the wire brake lights and cause there to be no ground at all. i am still a bit surprised that the trailer was not grounding through the trailer hitch ball. i know you you really don't want to rely on the trailer grounding through the trailer hitch ball but it should usually still do it unless the trailer possibly has a bad ground too or ground wire is not hooked to the trailer frame anywhere.

Quick Reply: Trailer light connection