2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 PM
kman4443
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C12Creed
Ive been told that my issue of the entire truck shaking violently above 50mph is not an engine issue but suspension: the Death Wobble.

I brought the truck to Tire Kingdom for free inspection,and they showed me why I needed to replace the inner and outer tie rods. They told me my wheel joints and ujoints were fine.

Who else has experienced the death wobble? What did you replace? The only other part Ive been told to do is a steering column bushing. Im looking to replace as much as I can in one service. Thanks!
They are correct, also check all bushings in the front suspension and replace them as well if needed.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 PM
kman4443
Rookie

Originally Posted by kman4443
They are correct, also check all bushings in the front suspension and replace them as well if needed.
My friend's Chevy Silverado was doing the same thing, we replaced the tie rods on both sides of the truck and it was fine after that. Had a Honda Odyssey that did that too, same solution.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP, not horrible death wobble, but it's a bit unnerving hitting a bump in the road going ~55mph and having to hold really tight onto the steering wheel since it's a bit loose lol. I honestly never knew tie rods were so easy to change yourself, DIY vid

front end stuff always kinda overwhelmed me but it's not as bad as it seems, although if you have the spare money having somebody else do it too is always nice lol

I hope my woes are just a loose steering box to tighten, and maybe that steering column bushing the rock solid ram fix is for... fixed my jumpy cold idle rpm with a new oem pcv valve and hose, thought my iac was screwed up previously.

my truck is just a 2wd, what are the major common things to check for that for death wobble? I heard a few say the track bar can majorly help due a bad wearing design, but apparently not so much on 2wd models? If my front end is real messed up I'd like to do all the easy DIY stuff first then maybe just pay a mechanic later to do the hard stuff and an alignment, odd thing is it already appears to have ball joints done to it by some previous owner so maybe they tried fixing it too but never could track it down....maybe it is as simple as that column bushing and tightening the steering box some. I like to do most things DIY to save as much money as possible within reason but if it's going to be very complex I could save a bit to pay a mechanic.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:09 PM
C12Creed
Rookie

1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2L
I forgot to update everyone with my solutions:

Solved by replacing tie rods,steering dampener, and ball joints as well as getting an alignment.

Thanks for everyones help!

Quick Reply: Death Wobble