2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove 02 sensor at catalytic converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 PM
not2techie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove 02 sensor at catalytic converter?

I want to attempt getting this right the first time as these are my working conditions, along with 30 to 50mph wind gusts
Pure glare ice. No mechanic scooter required!

This is a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Gas 4x4. I want to be able to use this truck today, along with doing diagnostics, as to why the truck will not run and drive. I know for sure, there are 2 major battery drains, that I have yet to deal with, aside from just disconnecting the battery, if the truck will be parked for one or more hours.

When the check engine light came on a few months back, the garage hooked up their diagnostic thingy, and the code said it was the 02 sensor(s) for the
catalytic converter. He said, as long as the truck keeps running, not to worry about it.
And now, the truck does not run. I think there may be multiple reasons, hopefully someone here can help me go in the right direction(s) for repairs.

For today, I want to just remove the 02 sensor, and see if it will let the truck run and drive a little bit. See below photo please, for my questions, how exactly do I pull the 02 sensor out? It looks like there is only one place, where a wrench will loosen the sensor??? And, should I take both sensors out? There is one before the catalytic converter, and one behind.
Picture taken from front side, looking to rear of truck.

And the 2nd sensor: Picture taken from rear, looking to front of truck.

Do I just use a wrench to loosen that nut?

If the engine will stay running with these sensors out, should I tie them up, or wrap them, or do something to make sure they stay clean?
Any other advice?

TIA for any assistance.

:

Last edited by not2techie; 04-06-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling, and adding truck specs
Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Wrench on it closest to the bung. They make special o2 sensor removal socket that makes it a lot easier. Soak it with Kroil or some other type of real penetrating fluid for a few hours before trying to remove it. Depending on what code was set will tell you which sensor it was, though it's not a bad idea to just replace them both at the same time while you are under there.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:06 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Thank you JKeaton! I now have the tool on it's way, it will be here within the hour. I have never heard of one before this, so have no idea yet what it looks like...if it will be self explanatory? Or with instructions, etc.
Am I correct in assuming, the nut thing should be turned counter-clockwise?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Just remove it like any normal nut. I just use a wrench. It does help to soak it first. Also, unplug it before loosening so you can spin it easier.

The first sensor does the work; second just monitors the first.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:21 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd recommend having a good pipe wrench and a hammer ready to go

Old 04-06-2018, 05:53 PM
not2techie
Amateur

The tool has arrived. I did put some penetrating oil on early today, and a lot more now, after trying to remove this. That thing is in there pretty darned tight!

I'm sure it is more than obvious already, I am not a mechanic. I need some more simple questions answered. See photo, is that wiring piece supposed to pop off where I put the top red arrow, at the seam there? Similar to say a spark plug wire? Because, I can not get it to budge. Would a flat head screw driver, and lightly tapping with a hammer be appropriate to get it to move? Or, would that cause too much damage?
02 sensor before cat
And yes, it seems like perhaps a wrench and hammer might be a better way to loosen that nut? As long as I am careful to not strip the nut? It clearly needs a lot more strength than what I can muster on that removal tool, especially with the extra 30 pounds of clothes, that limit mobility in this weather.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, pipe wrench may help. Another trick is to run it til the exhaust warms up but you said its dead right?

Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Wires don't come off. (well, ok, they will, if you are determined, but, they sure won't go back on. )

BIG pipe wrench. Drown the sensor in chems. Start the engine, and get the exhaust nice and hot, put your pipe wrench on there, with the handle in a position you can hit it with a big hammer. (I use a three pound single jack.) SMACK the wrench with the hammer until the sensor breaks loose, then it should be easy.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

The connector is farther up the wire. Not where you are looking.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Yeah, above the trans, almost at the top. That's a fun reach.......

Quick Reply: How to remove 02 sensor at catalytic converter?