2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:20 PM
C12Creed
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble

Ive been told that my issue of the entire truck shaking violently above 50mph is not an engine issue but suspension: the Death Wobble.

I brought the truck to Tire Kingdom for free inspection,and they showed me why I needed to replace the inner and outer tie rods. They told me my wheel joints and ujoints were fine.

Who else has experienced the death wobble? What did you replace? The only other part Ive been told to do is a steering column bushing. Im looking to replace as much as I can in one service. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Any slop in the steering/suspension can cause it. Have them go over everything and anything that is questionable or will be going soon replace.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

I experienced severe death wobble with my truck once and it scared me to death, since it popped up all of a sudden on the highway at about 70+ MPH.

After reading up on death wobble and inspecting my truck's front end, I went ahead and rebuilt the entire front suspension, since it was beat up pretty good. Replaced both front wheel bearings, U-joints (at each wheel), ball joints, Rancho RS5000 shocks, tie rod ends and upgraded to a Borgeson steering box plus intermediate shaft in addition to a Solid Steel conversion bracket to support a 3rd gen style Solid Steel adjustable track bar (with urethane bushings in each end) - also replaced the control arms with Spohn boxed arms with grease-able urethane bushings. My death wobble issues are cured and the truck rides like a dream.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A thing people seem to forget is that for our trucks Death Wobble isn't just a 4x4 thing. It can happen on the 2wd models too. 2wd is easier to fix most times though. In my case it was the pitman arm's connection to the center link. 4x4 is going to be a bigger issue like others have mentioned though.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:21 PM
C12Creed
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to another mechanic, local store,where they told me to change the steering dampener and tie rods.

I just went and ordered a 6pc tie rod kit, sway bar links and bushings, as well as the steering dampener.

Assuming the joints and bearings are fine I guess all I have left would be the pittman arm, track bar, control arms and steering box? Any confirmations on this?

Is the steering column bushing the same thing as the sway bar bushings? They look almost identical from what Ive been shown.

Last edited by C12Creed; 04-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional

Nope, the steering column bushing is actually a bearing that would normally require you to buy a whole new column.

What you want to replace that is from here if I recall. This should explain what it does.
http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by C12Creed
I went to another mechanic, local store,where they told me to change the steering dampener and tie rods.

I just went and ordered a 6pc tie rod kit, sway bar links and bushings, as well as the steering dampener.

Assuming the joints and bearings are fine I guess all I have left would be the pittman arm, track bar, control arms and steering box? Any confirmations on this?

Is the steering column bushing the same thing as the sway bar bushings? They look almost identical from what Ive been shown.
I believe the pitman arm is a non-wearing part and doesn't have a built-in ball joint. Also, check the wheels/tires closely and have the tire balance checked. If you plan to keep the truck a while, I'd suggest converting the track bar to a 3rd gen style, as the ball joint end of the 2nd gen truck track bar is a known early wear out point/bad design.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I believe the pitman arm is a non-wearing part and doesn't have a built-in ball joint. Also, check the wheels/tires closely and have the tire balance checked. If you plan to keep the truck a while, I'd suggest converting the track bar to a 3rd gen style, as the ball joint end of the 2nd gen truck track bar is a known early wear out point/bad design.
On 4wd models which his seems to be. On the 2wd models there is a joint there but it isn't a ball joint.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221813...-1/s-l1000.jpg

Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

I was assuming he had a 4WD truck, but it would be helpful if he would add the information about the truck he's working on (year, model, 2 or 4 wd).

Old 04-04-2018, 12:28 AM
Shadow_Death
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I was assuming he had a 4WD truck, but it would be helpful if he would add the information about the truck he's working on (year, model, 2 or 4 wd).
I assumed the same based on the parts he mentioned.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble