2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is there an idiots guide to rebuilding an automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:14 AM
truckerguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there an idiots guide to rebuilding an automatic transmission?

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 WS , V6 42RE automatic transmission.

I want to know how to rebuild it.
What kind of books or videos are there to give a step by step guide to doing this?

I have seen some other guides for a different type of transmission like a 46,32 or whatever number it is, should I be able to follow any one of those while in mind that my own transmission type will be different?

Is it possible to read all about how an automatic transmission works and in theory, to apply the general knowledge to rebuilding my own?

If I start tearing it apart, if I were to record where every single screw, bolt, or other parts were, it should be enough if I were to not lose anything?

Clean all the parts, put everything back in reverse order while replacing old worn out parts if necessary?

Let's say, idgaf about total failure and the transmission itself, and if parts start flying inside the transmission...I already have a replacement transmission and want to do this as a project and see what happens and I have money to lose, but just want to do it for the fun of it.

If I misplace something, or put something in wrong, install the transmission then start it up, other than a complete destruction of the inside of the transmission, can it damage the engine or flywheel or anything serious? Could it blow up or catch on fire?

What kind of rebuild kits do I need, and any extra parts not included in a kit, hard parts, special tools, spring compressors or whatever it is, do I need?

I have a few wrenches and a impact wrench, sockets of all sizes and extensions, pliers, vice grips, rags.... all the basic stuff. Is it enough?

Do I need specific space measurement tools, certain cleaners?

Or torque wrenches to get an exact measurement on tightness, foot pounds or inch pounds?

Gasket maker, or just any necessary gaskets and seals without extra gasket maker?

Thread locker for anything inside or outsideoutsid?

Can anyone explain the tools needed, how it works, what I can use to learn how to do it, and anything else?

Last edited by truckerguy; 04-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:16 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

YouTube is your friend Books are available via a Google search.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You need an "H" press to remove the OD spring.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:16 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

This video series is pretty good....

Quick Reply: Is there an idiots guide to rebuilding an automatic transmission?