2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove 02 sensor at catalytic converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:42 PM
not2techie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yeah, pipe wrench may help. Another trick is to run it til the exhaust warms up but you said its dead right?
Correct. But I took the battery out today, hooked it up to my charger, and that appears to have died from driving the truck last time. The truck might start now again, with this battery fully charged.

Would a failing alternator and/or dead battery be enough to make the engine die at highway speed? The alternator gauge indicates 12 to 14, pretty consistently.

Last edited by not2techie; 04-06-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
The connector is farther up the wire. Not where you are looking.
I looked only very quickly, those wires go up and merge in with a bunch of other wires, which have the plastic guards around everything. Is there an actual connector hidden up in there somewhere?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Yes. There is.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Michael92
Rookie

Either/both of those would definently be enough to make it die at highway speed. Say it being your battery.. then there's nothing to supply electrical current to sensors and plugs and what not. Then you got the alternator, witch it's main purpose is to keep the battery at a full charge while running so everything has juice.

The plug in for the 02 sensor is attached to the top off the transmission. There suppose to slide off the clip to the transmission, then you can push in the clip and pull apart. There a pain in the butt.

to me it sounds like your main issue is battery or alternator. As an 02 wouldn't make your truck not start. But a dead battery would. A bad alternator would let it run for a bit on a good battery till the battery is dead. If you have a volt meter check it. Should be 12v (or more) on battery terminals before cranking, while cranking it shouldn't dip below 11 min, and while running it should be at least 13.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, above the trans, almost at the top. That's a fun reach.......
It sounds like, I need to start from the sensor, and trace them up to above the tranny, to find an actual connector? Can it be found from starting at the top side? I'm guessing the engine will be in the way of that approach. :-(

Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Michael92
Rookie

Yes. Basically take your hand along the wire till you feel the connector. It's only about 12-18 inches of wire till the connector. You'll need both hands to pull apart. You have to be on the ice to do it lol

Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Michael92
Rookie

There's a connector tab also, push it in then the clip comes apart. Try sticking your head up in there if possible.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:19 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Originally Posted by Michael92
Either/both of those would definently be enough to make it die at highway speed. Say it being your battery.. then there's nothing to supply electrical current to sensors and plugs and what not. Then you got the alternator, witch it's main purpose is to keep the battery at a full charge while running so everything has juice.

The plug in for the 02 sensor is attached to the top off the transmission. There suppose to slide off the clip to the transmission, then you can push in the clip and pull apart. There a pain in the butt.

to me it sounds like your main issue is battery or alternator. As an 02 wouldn't make your truck not start. But a dead battery would. A bad alternator would let it run for a bit on a good battery till the battery is dead. If you have a volt meter check it. Should be 12v (or more) on battery terminals before cranking, while cranking it shouldn't dip below 11 min, and while running it should be at least 13.
Very helpful, Thank you! The theory I was working on, is that the o2 sensor is not faulty, but rather it is working and telling me that the cat is clogged, and hence, perhaps the reason the engine will not run. However at this point, it would not surprise me if both things are (or all 3) are at fault. I was leaning towards the cat problems due to the plenum thread that is stickied. Checking the plenum is on my 'to-do' list.

Sounds like I better hurry up on finding that connector, before the ice melts!
LoL

Last edited by not2techie; 04-06-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you suspect a cat issue then pop both front O2 sensors out and try to fire it up. If it starts with the o2 sensors out of their respective bungs then the cat(s) is/are clogged.

This is how I determined that my exhaust was toast.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:34 AM
Michael92
Rookie

Sorry, forgot about a clogged cat problem. I was half asleep responding last night lol works been demanding. But no problem. If all else fails hook up a scanner and see if you have any check engine. That I'd do after a new battery, and testing the alternator to rule it out.

DONT FORGET, most auto parts store will test both of those components for you (for free) if you take them out and take them to them. Battery and alternator.
Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: How to remove 02 sensor at catalytic converter?