2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sudden 46 re problem fluid level went high

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Nick Bain
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update, road tested today and found it would not go into OD at all, I also should also point out it has been spotty going fully into OD since I bought it. Rpms not dropping fully but most of the way. for example it should be at 2k at 70 sometimes it will bounce around 2250 and up to 2500 (during which it sounds lightly rough like its not fully enganged), but definitely not 3k which is when it is completely out of OD. Also it did not like reverse one bit.

Still working on building up to drop the pan and looks like ill be getting into the valve body as well. based on what I am reading in the service manual.

Last edited by Nick Bain; 04-20-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Nick Bain
Professional

figured out what was wrong, is it possible for OD planetary to shred in 2 years? Also the spring is flattened so did not need a press to take it apart.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

That got REALLY hot for the spring to deform like that. Rather curious what happened there......

Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 PM
Nick Bain
Professional

the one thing I can assume is that they rebuilt it and did not replace these parts or look at it at all. the lady i bought it from said she brought it in for a 1-2 shift issue so is it possible they left the overdrive alone? still trying to find that one out. everything else in the main case looks immaculate. Also it is apparent they were towing something as the truck has a trailer brake controller on it. oh and it has 200k miles on it.

Last edited by Nick Bain; 08-31-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:08 AM
Michael92
Rookie

If i remember rite the overdrive band and drum are at the very bottom, or back, of the tranny with a pressure spring (closest to the Transfer case). Its VERY possible that its been rebuilt with out the OD internals being touched or replaced. Since at the time it probably didnt give them problems. Either that, or they did rebuilt it and finally something gave way. If you where to take that part to a tranny shop and ask them whats the deal they may be able to throw some ideas at you as to what actually happend in there.
like hey you said, looks like something got hot and melted your disk or whatever under the spring. Does the part that those od gears ride on F'd up to?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:12 AM
Michael92
Rookie

Any debris in the trans, lines or coolers? To me it looks like crap got stuck in there, locked the gears and as it spun chewed teeth off.
how does the ring gear look that the planetarys ride on?

Last edited by Michael92; 08-31-2018 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Missed information
Old 08-31-2018, 05:45 AM
Nick Bain
Professional

the ring gear is fine but the sun gear is trashed and roller bearing spring thingy is toast with wear on the sprag. the output shaft surface that the roller bearing rides on has some wear as well. The friction plates have some wear closest to the planetary/ spring where the heat was but not totally shot. pics to come

Old 10-16-2018, 01:45 PM
Nick Bain
Professional

Well I finished it up and its back on the road. Found a whole OD gear unit fully assembled with good parts (hopefully) off eBay for 200 included new frictions that go on the outside, all new solenoid/sensor/filter kit 175, sonnax zip kit 150?, snap ring, a few case gaskets, TC 180. About 100 in new tools, and something else I feel like forgetting cause I thought I spent 1,000. Had to top the fluid off twice once it all worked in. Before I took it out I did pump out the oil while it was in gear and I blew out the cooler lines with air and used one of those self propelled solvent cans the shop air again. I did not see any particles anywhere. It seemed to be all trapped behind the filter in the pan. There was so much that the magnet could not hold it all. Trans shop thought there was not enough fluid getting to the OD unit. When I filled it with new fluid I left the return line off so it would pump out any remaining bad stuff. It gushed out clear (red) in a couple seconds and had great flow so I think the check valve is fine. This happened in park so the sonnax is working. It was shifting kind of weird at first and would not start off in 1st. so once I got all the fluid in I decided to look into the TV cable which I was surprised how touchy it was I went 1/4 tighter cause I thought it was super slack and I was shifting like a race car so I dialed it back 1/8'' and it shifted like brand new. who knows how long it was like that? or maybe it was something I changed when I went through the settings per the sonnax kit can't recall. Anyways I think I own the best 46re now and I think its ready to go up a mountain.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Awesome.

Quick Reply: sudden 46 re problem fluid level went high