2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

starting problems and lhead lamps blink or don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:48 AM
stormchaser27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up starting problems and lhead lamps blink or don't work

Hello, my 1998 Ram 5.9 starts and runs ok on local short distance trips but after driving for awhile and its warmed up good, when i stop i can't get it started till after the engine cools down. This has been going on for at least the last year.
My other problem has been with the headlamps. When i turn the lights on usually the low beams work and the high beams will blink after they are on for few seconds. I thought changing the bulbs might fix it but after replacing the bulbs now the high beams blink and the low beams don't even come on ......WT Flip ! Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks .

Old 04-09-2018, 01:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

2 or 4 headlight system?

Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 PM
stormchaser27

The high and low beams are in one bulb. When i replaced the bulbs they worked when i put them in. The contacts that the bulbs go into were corroded so i sprayed just a touch of CRC on them. Maybe that didn't help but where does the blinking come from? thanx super moderator!

Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Grab the service manual for your truck from here. Check out the wiring diagrams for the headlights. I suspect you have a questionable ground, but, I don't recall if the headlight switch provides power, or ground path for them.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:23 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The starting issue sounds like a bad coil.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM
stormchaser27

1998 Ram 150 4x4 5.9 auto, gasoline

Old 04-11-2018, 12:43 PM
stormchaser27

1998 Ram 150 4x4 5.9 auto, gasoline
Thanx for the pdf.....this is gona be fun.
The starter coil could be the problem with starting?......It will start fine as long as its local driving , short driving distances and if i'm busy where ever i stop at long enough for it to cool down......no problems, but in the summer months and on long drives it screws me. I just took a trip home to N.C. from N.J. and i stopped at a Virginia welcome center and i was stuck there for an hour and a half before it decided to start again. Just about halfway to my destination . I was just about ready to lose my cool when it started again. It has been starting fine like i said for short driving but wouldn't it just not start if was the coil thats going bad? It cranks fine but just wont start until it cools down,almost like its not getting fuel and i don't know all that much about it but i've heard others mention something about a vapor lock or something like that and that i shouldn't keep the gas cap too tight ???? If it was the coil doing this well then eventually it just wont start or turn over or nothing right ! ?

Quick Reply: starting problems and lhead lamps blink or don't work