2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 injector/computer problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 05:42 PM
scottrudolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 injector/computer problems?

Hi, have a 1996 dodge ram 2500 v10 gas that lacks the power it should have. I have replaced 3 of the fuel injectors and have had it back in to see about the other 7, but am told that it might not be the injectors at all, could need the computer reset or replaced. There is a gas smell every so often and it has no guts for a v10. Have had it to several mechanics and no one can give me a definite answer, they just want to charge me to run diagnostics on it. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Getting any codes? How many miles on it?

Old 04-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Do you have any codes? More info would help, Was a noid light used to see if the injectors are firing? Fuel pressure checked? Does it bleed off quickly after the pump stops? What do the plugs look like?

Old 04-10-2018, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Almost impossible to get to most of the injectors on the passenger side.... Intake is in the way. Could check the drivers side though.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 PM
scottrudolf

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Getting any codes? How many miles on it?
no codes. Has 144,500 miles.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 PM
scottrudolf

Originally Posted by Moparite
Do you have any codes? More info would help, Was a noid light used to see if the injectors are firing? Fuel pressure checked? Does it bleed off quickly after the pump stops? What do the plugs look like?
Hi, not sure about the noid light. When i had it in the first time to be diagnosed they told us the injectors were the problem so they sent them in to be cleaned but they couldn't be so we had to replace them. Ran good for a month or so and then back to the same problem. Has had the fuel pressure checked (3 times) and that was fine. Plugs and wires are brand new.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What plugs in there?

Did they just replace three of them? Or all of them? (injectors) They all live in the same environment.... so, my general take on that was: 1 bad, replace 1. More than one bad, replace them ALL.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when i inherited my V10, it had power issues even after i did tune up (including new coil packs), cleaning the throttle body, and running a can of seafoam through the intake. After doing all that, i ran 4-5 tanks of gas with Lucas fuel injector cleaner and it made a major improvement as far as the power went, but still have an idle issue that seems to be rougher at times than others. I suspect it's something with my injectors still not working 100%, but haven't got around to tearing the intake off to look at all of them. My exhaust also smells of fuel a bit, but not sure how much of that is not having cats on the exhaust. the original owner of the truck also had a new (salvage) computer put is it. I have been wondering if i may be having issues with it also because i had a weird situation one time where the truck ran like crap after unplugging a code scanner from the truck that ended up making my O2 sensors act out (its kind of a long story, but thats the jist of what happened). i replaced the O2 sensors and no more problems with that.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 injector/computer problems?