2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 5.9 hard to start, runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Shawn Kenyon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 5.9 hard to start, runs like crap

I have an 01 Dodge ram with 170 K. In order to start it you must have your foot on the gas. Once it does start it has a bad miss And won’t clear up until about 2000 RPMs. Almost seems like it’s not timed right. Once you get in over 2000 RPMs it runs like a scalded dog. So far I check the fuel pressure it’s at 48 Psi. I checked injector pulse on all 8 cylinders and all injectors are firing. I’ve done a tuneup plugs wires cap rotor. I just did the intake Plenum gasket. I’ve also replace the timing chain and gears. There is no codes in the computer. Somebody please help before I junk this truck

Last edited by Shawn Kenyon; 04-10-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 04-10-2018, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Getting any codes? Done a compression test?

Where at in michigan?

Old 04-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Shawn Kenyon

No codes, all compression is good

Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Shawn Kenyon

Howell

Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, not too far away, in the overall scheme of things. Still, bit of a drive.

Might try running some fuel system cleaner/gas dryer thru it. Won't help right away....

Also could try a cylinder balance test. Start the engine, let it warm up so it will idle. Disable the IAC. (just unplug it.) Then, disable each cylinder one at a time, and see what happens. On the cylinders that aren't firing so good.... you won't see a noticeable change.

You can either pull the plug wire, or disconnect the injector to disable cylinders.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 PM
not2techie
Amateur

I think Seafoam, and/or Heet.
Seems pretty likely, this is what got mine running again, when I had this same issue.
Sometimes, having limited resources actually helps a bad situation.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:32 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have or can you get your hands on a scanner that reads live data? Do you have single or dual cats? How old r your O2 sensors? Pull the upstream O2 sensor/s and visually check to see if there's excessive carbon build up on them.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Shawn Kenyon

HISTORY THE TRUCK WAS PARKED FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS! IT WAS PARKED BECAUSE OF THE ENGINE MIS. NO TRANS ISSUES WHEN PARKED! UPDATE: timing chain helped out a lot. Still had a single cylinder mis. At least now it will idle. Weird thing is when I set the timing chain and gears the distributor was not pointing to number one on the cap but more to cylinder 6. Very odd! So I picked up the dizzy and moved it 180, that was a mistake!!! Had to put it back and it ran good. Re syncing it again is a “pita”. I’m leaning now towards a weak lifter or collapsed rings or just a bad injector. Cause the miss goes away when the rpms are up over 1800rpm.... still scratching my head.

Found a new problem though, trans starts out in 2nd and won’t upshift. If you are rolling and down shift it manually it will go into 1st. So it has reverse and 1st and 2nd but only starts out in Second. It don’t shift even if shifting manually!! Help please!!!

Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did you drain the tank, and put in fresh gas?

You may still have the miss above 1800 rpm, you just can't feel it as much. True test will be when the truck shifts into O/D. A miss will make the truck fee like it is trying to shake itself apart.

Drivers side of the trans, about halfway back, there is an 8 pin connector that goes straight down into the top of the valve body. (outside of trans) Unplug that, and go for a drive, you trans will have zero automatic function, no tcc, and no o/d. You will have to start out in first, and up/downshift when appropriate. (so, don't go far, just a quick test.) If the trans shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then you just need to change the electronics in the trans. If it still exhibits undesirable behavior, time for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: 01 5.9 hard to start, runs like crap