2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:47 AM
JamesHretiredusaf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel I have a transmission that is downshifting at 60 mph and above to third gear. Which causes an over revving of the engine that gear, which in turn the transmission will no longer provide forward motion power. I have replaced the throttle position sensor, cleaned all the ground wire connection points I can find and rebuilt the alternator. I was told I might have an RF problem in the wiring because the voltage fluctuates when I depress the accelerator pedal. Is there a fix for this or is there some other problem?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Any codes? Trans Temp lite come on? had any work done to the trans lately?

Voltage should go smoothly from less than 1 volt, to greater than 3.5 volts as you lean into the accelerator. Best to test with an analog meter, as the digital gauges bounce around anyway. If you aren't getting that, replace the TPS. (again....)

Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 AM
JamesHretiredusaf

No codes. No trans light. No work done. Other than fluid change 1 year ago. We used a MOOG computer hooked to the truck port. Watched voltage jump while driving and while sitting still. Just moving the accelerator pedal. Shut off engine with key on and no fluctuation in voltage with engine not running while moving pedal..

Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM
JamesHretiredusaf

Is there a in line (Electrical) filter that can be installed to get rid of the RF disturbance. I think the disturbance is causing the computer to shift when it shouldn't.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You might wanna go thru and check all of your grounds (battery, frame and body), especially those body grounds.

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor