2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 sport 5.9 auto transmisstion issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM
tinysudweeks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 sport 5.9 auto transmisstion issues

Hi all My name is Tim i am new here and was hoping ya'll could give me some advice. I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 sport model with the 5.9 v8 and auto transmission. I was getting code (p0751) so i replaced my shift solenoid, shift sensor, wire harness, accumulator spring, and output speed sensor. (all came in a kit together as well as a filter and gaskets). I refilled the fluid checked for leaks then started struck and let it warm up. I slowly shifted through the gears to get the fluid flowing through everywhere. ( i had no issues at this point in time. After i felt i was good i pulled out of the garage and proceed to drive forward and back in the drive to check everything was ok just before i was about to take it on a road trip when suddenly my O/D light came on and quickly after after my trans temp light came on. I went to pull it back in the garage but i lost all power to D, 2, and 1st. Reverse and park worked fine and i was able to limp it into the garage. I tried to pull codes at this point but couldn't get any. About 5hrs latter i fired it back up and the lights were off and the it shifted back into gears again, I didn't take it for a drive or anything like that just to be safe. Sorry for the long post but i wanted to give as much detail as possible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you. Sorry if this may seem like a repeat, I saw some posts similar to this one but they all consisted of the issue stating while driving not right after work has been done.

Last edited by tinysudweeks; 04-13-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-13-2018, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Usually that's a sign of the trans overheating...... However, if you have the wrong year electronics in there...... things simply won't work right. (governor stuff changed in 00) Can you verify the part numbers? Make sure it was not for a newer trans?

Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM
tinysudweeks

Thanks for the reply. I triple checked with the company i bought the parts from and they said they are the correct ones. I've read some about doing a check vavle delete but there seems to be mixed feeling on it. Possible a way to correct the over heating issue?

Old 04-13-2018, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How long does it take for the lites to come on? If it's only a couple minutes, then you have a sensor problem. They might be the right sensors, but, wouldn't be the first time someone got a bad part right out of the box......

There really isn't a downside to the check valve delete, and there are a few advantages, not smoking your trans from lack of cooling being right up there on the list.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 PM
tinysudweeks

It took a bit for the lights to come on. Untill the trans heated up is my assumption.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:33 AM
tinysudweeks

Is there a way to test the sensor without pulling it all apart? Or having a shop look at it. I don't have any specialty tools or equipment to do tests with

Old 04-14-2018, 11:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it took a while, then I would be real tempted to have a hard look at the trans check valve...... they are famous for clogging up, and blocking flow to the trans coolers.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 AM
jlake4130
Professional

IF the check valve Hey you is talking about is the one in the cooler line then this is something you (tinysuds) can easily check /clean. Tinysud- just do a search for trans check valve on here, plenty of threads to explain what is needed. Would be super easy just to remove the line and clean it well to see if that is your problem.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 sport 5.9 auto transmisstion issues