2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 has some issues..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:00 PM
Anthony Smith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 has some issues..

So my dad bought this truck about 3 years ago and since I was only 14 I at the time I couldn’t drive it. We knew there was some issues with the transmission. I let th truck sit for about 2 years working on it here and there. So the last 6 or so months I’ve been trying to get it back together. I changed the govener pressure sensors to fix the problem. So at some point somebody took this engine out and spray painted he block a gold and put it back in. Now I don’t really know if they did anything to the motor but it was definitely out. But when they put the engine back together they intentionally took out the evap canister and stuff. I’m having a problem wehere when I step on the gas it hesitates then goes but it had a back fire if I press the parallel down to fast. I changed the tps sensor and iac senor to see if that would do anything and which it did. It fixed the problem that caused to stall out immediately upon starting it. Oil pressure is good and so are all the vacuum lines after I put them ALL together. I’m totally stuck on why I’m having that hesitation problem. any help would be awesome, thanks

Old 04-13-2018, 09:58 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

The plenum is a common problem. Do you have fresh gas in it? I would dump a couple cans of Sea Foam in the gas and then another can the next 2 times you fill it up. They may have damaged the crank sensor if they removed the engine. Aftermarket PCV valves flow to much air and are essentially a vacuum leak. Get one from Mopar. Check for other vacuum leaks. If anyone messed with the distributor, your fuel injector timing ( fuel sync) could be wrong. Timing is controlled by the PCM and not adjustable. A new NTK O2 sensor might help.

The plenum gasket can cause quite a mess. It allows oil to be burnt, which wrecks your O2 sensor and will plug the Cat. If you need to replace it, I recommend replacing the timing chain at the same time, as you'll have most of the stuff removed already to fix the plenum.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:47 AM
Anthony Smith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

The plenum is a common problem. Do you have fresh gas in it? I would dump a couple cans of Sea Foam in the gas and then another can the next 2 times you fill it up. They may have damaged the crank sensor if they removed the engine. Aftermarket PCV valves flow to much air and are essentially a vacuum leak. Get one from Mopar. Check for other vacuum leaks. If anyone messed with the distributor, your fuel injector timing ( fuel sync) could be wrong. Timing is controlled by the PCM and not adjustable. A new NTK O2 sensor might help.

The plenum gasket can cause quite a mess. It allows oil to be burnt, which wrecks your O2 sensor and will plug the Cat. If you need to replace it, I recommend replacing the timing chain at the same time, as you'll have most of the stuff removed already to fix the plenum.
yes I have fresh gas in it. I will definitely try putting a new gasket in it and new o2 sensors. I’ll check out the pcv valves and crank sensor as well

Old 04-14-2018, 11:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Check fuel sync as well. If the engine was out, and painted, likely they had the distributor out as well........

Quick Reply: My 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 has some issues..