2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

UGH! Radio still not working!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Pretty sure you don't wire constant and switched together. That's why they're named that way. I just installed my second radio a couple weeks ago and like the first time, it went very smoothly with it all working right. Just use the crutchfield diagram.
i know. But as I said earlier it’s the only way the radio works. If I wire it like any diagram it doesn’t power on at all. I’ll make a video later of what happens so everyone can see my issue.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmikk

i know. But as I said earlier it’s the only way the radio works. If I wire it like any diagram it doesn’t power on at all. I’ll make a video later of what happens so everyone can see my issue.
You need to check your radio harness for a constant power supply. That is why it only works the way you have it now and it has no memory, it's getting it's power from the key and nothing else.

With the dome lights only working when you turn the key on, I'm wondering if you didn't try splicing into the wrong wire for power. Was it like that before you started messing with the wires?

It's possible that it's just a blown fuse, but when dealing with a harness that someone else hacked apart it's anybody's guess.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a thought, when you tie together switched and constant power, you're bypassing the switched 12V power relay. It's possible that either the switched power circuit or the switching relay is damaged although I cant't understand why...but hey...stranger things!?! I'm also guessing the ECM might just be confused by the change in system load...guessing of course.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
You need to check your radio harness for a constant power supply. That is why it only works the way you have it now and it has no memory, it's getting it's power from the key and nothing else.

With the dome lights only working when you turn the key on, I'm wondering if you didn't try splicing into the wrong wire for power. Was it like that before you started messing with the wires?

It's possible that it's just a blown fuse, but when dealing with a harness that someone else hacked apart it's anybody's guess.
the lights didn’t work at all before messing. with the wires. I’m wondering is 12v constant (red/white) is dead and how I should fix it if it comes down to it

Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There is definitely more wiring issues at work here. Make sure all of the fuses are there and working in the fuse panel on the side of the dash and under the hood.
Fixing someones hacked wiring job is one of the hardest things to do on a vehicle. Don't let it get you down, and take your time when you trace things. It's very easy to over look a broken wire that doesn't show through the insulation.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
There is definitely more wiring issues at work here. Make sure all of the fuses are there and working in the fuse panel on the side of the dash and under the hood.
Fixing someones hacked wiring job is one of the hardest things to do on a vehicle. Don't let it get you down, and take your time when you trace things. It's very easy to over look a broken wire that doesn't show through the insulation.
move replaced every fuse, cleaned up all the wiring but guess I should tear further into it with a spool if red wire and find a break in 12v constant if it’s not getting power. I’ll test light again and see where it takes me, hopefully it’ll be a dumb fix.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Check the IOD fuse in the fuse block on the side of the dash as well. It's under a little cover, and doesn't look obviously like it is a fuse.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the IOD fuse in the fuse block on the side of the dash as well. It's under a little cover, and doesn't look obviously like it is a fuse.
12v switched isn’t working as 12v switched. 12v constant (red/white) is working as switched. Pink doesn’t work at all now so this is a new issue, something’s messed up somewhere. I’ll just run a clean 12v constant to the dash and see what happens!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Jmikk
Professional

It’s fixed! Woo interior lights and presets!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

What was the issue?

Quick Reply: UGH! Radio still not working!