2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 PM
dirtynewf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case questions

Hello all,

So my transfer case 231d on a 2001 5.2 with a manual tranny is shot wont send power to my front driveshaft and in order to roll i had to drop the front driveshaft and plug the front splined hole i think the bearing on that shaft was shot? i dunno either way i need a new t case or to rebuild it.I am no professional mechanic but im not afraid to dig in and get nasty with my girl if i need to. so what i've gathered is the tcase off a auto and manual have the same input and output shafts spline counts but are they compatible? because i found one off an auto for $200 but cant find a used one off a stick for the life of me. So bestow some knowledge upon me please

i also use this truck as a dd and i need the 4x4 to work because i live in CANADA eh and i use it to plow snow

p.s truck has 265000 kms and runs like a top

thanks

Old 04-21-2018, 08:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Yep, same t-case. There are some differences in the input hub though, the manual trans version is a bit longer. It might work just fine, but, to be safe, I would be real tempted to swap parts around, and put in the correct input hub.

There really isn't that much to the transfer case. If you have something else to drive for a bit, pulling yours, tearing it down, and seeing just what is screwed up isn't too bad of a job.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:44 PM
dirtynewf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, same t-case. There are some differences in the input hub though, the manual trans version is a bit longer. It might work just fine, but, to be safe, I would be real tempted to swap parts around, and put in the correct input hub.

There really isn't that much to the transfer case. If you have something else to drive for a bit, pulling yours, tearing it down, and seeing just what is screwed up isn't too bad of a job.

Thanks man much appreciated

Quick Reply: Transfer case questions