2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wont stay running while in gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Renee Schweitzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wont stay running while in gear

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 L. I just installed a transmission from a 99 Ram 1500 5.2 to my 01 Ram 1500 5.9 and truck starts right up and idles great. As soon as i put it into gear, the truck dies. Really stumped would love some advice.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:28 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

one possibility: if the torque convertor clutch is stuck on, it will stall when put in gear

how did the old trans die? did you flush out the cooler lines before installing the replacement trans?

Old 04-29-2018, 09:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Did the crank sensor survive the trans R&R? Keep in mind, the electronics in the trans changed from 99 to 00, so, once you get it moving around under its own power, you are still going to have problems.

If you unplug the 8 pin connector from the trans, will the truck run? (you won't have any automatic trans function, at all......)

Old 04-29-2018, 10:52 PM
Renee Schweitzer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did the crank sensor survive the trans R&R? Keep in mind, the electronics in the trans changed from 99 to 00, so, once you get it moving around under its own power, you are still going to have problems.

If you unplug the 8 pin connector from the trans, will the truck run? (you won't have any automatic trans function, at all......)
I did as much research as i could find before making the switch, never saw any mention regarding the electronics during the 99-01 time frame . Everybit of advice said should be no problems. i have the transmission from the 01 still. It would work until the temp went up within couple mins would stop moving, if this is an easier fix, maybe ill just switch back

Old 04-29-2018, 10:57 PM
Renee Schweitzer

Originally Posted by primem
one possibility: if the torque convertor clutch is stuck on, it will stall when put in gear

how did the old trans die? did you flush out the cooler lines before installing the replacement trans?
When the transmission would warm up, it would stop moving. How can i tell if the torque convertor is bad or if the t.c. clutch is stuck on.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Swapping out the electronics is a fairly easy job. Certainly easier than swapping transmissions. Did you re-use your old torque converter, or use the one that came with the new trans?

Quick Reply: Wont stay running while in gear