2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Poor power/MPG...Plugged Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Prodirt6000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor power/MPG...Plugged Cat?

Hello everyone,

My 1995 5.2l 2wd long box regular cab auto has about 105,000 miles. My grandfather is the original owner and everything is stock/factory on it. Less than a 1,000 miles ago I did the plenum gasket, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The only thing that probably hasnt been changed in a while is the fuel filter. Transmission and radiator flushed 50,000 miles ago.

The truck seems VERY sluggish. Hardly gets out of its own way. Since the plenum replacement, the engine pinging has stopped, and I checked and no oil in manifold so I know that was a success.. He always used to get 15-16 mpg (at 40,000 miles) and I barely get 10-11 currently . I drive it easy, and before the plenum replacement I was getting 7 mpg. The exhaust is all original and I just noticed a small hole in muffler that will not pass state inspection in August. Should I just go ahead and replace the entire exahust from the headers back? Where can I get a basic well made exhaust? I dont want anything loud either. Everything I price up comes to $600 or so. Does that seem right? Thanks

Old 04-30-2018, 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Wonder if the cat is clogged.... Also, still the original O2 sensor? Think I would check exhaust pressure at idle first (in front of the cat, should be less than 2 psi at idle......) and replace the O2 sensor. (ntk, or denso only please, do NOT use bosch.)

Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Prodirt6000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming orinial O2 sensor as well. I will check the pressure before the cat. I should mention too, it idles rough, skips and bumps. I read that could be Cat related? I replaced the Idle air control valve but that didnt help. Timing chain was another thing I want to get to, but primarily focusing on the Cat issue. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2018, 08:36 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I just had the cat plug on our 95. Exhaust pressure helps control the EGR on your 95, so that may not be working properly either. Unhook that little hose from transducer to the EGR base and see if a lot of exhaust is blowing out of it. Have a look at the end of this link to see what happened to mine.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...special-7.html

I got that exhaust from Advance for $240. You need to keep or replace the piece with the hangars between the cat and the muffler. I cut big slits in mine to make removing the exhaust easy. I assumed the kit contained everything behind the cat. Nope. You can get this kit, or a single from Rock Auto. I would've gotten the single from them but needed to get it quicker. You also need to keep the rubber hangers. It fit well except it hit the braces under the bed for the goose neck hitch. It would've fit fine on a stock truck.

Quick Reply: Poor power/MPG...Plugged Cat?