2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The phone won’t quit ringing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:22 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The phone won’t quit ringing

ok, so the truck has always made this weird ringing sound. About every 10 seconds or so, an old timey telephone rings in the engine. Like it’s possessed by a switchboard operator from 1897. Doesn’t usually matter to me, but the wife makes fun of it, and the kid in the drive through asked about it today, so it’s time to be addressed.

Ive tried listening for it, but can’t identify it, nor can I figure out what would even be making that noise.

Heres a video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzu1Bg...ature=youtu.be

its about every 10 seconds, it doesn’t change based on rpms or vehicle speed.

Any ideas?

Old 05-03-2018, 06:22 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Sounds like the ac compressor is cycling.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

ayup, moparman's called it... If you have a stethoscope or long metal or wooden probe, put it on the a/c, start her up, put your ear to the probe n give a listen.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Or just watch the ac clutch.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:51 PM
true blue
Veteran

WAIT?!? You mean it doesn't have to be time consuming, troublesome or needlessly complex?
Where's the fun in that???

Old 05-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Twmays
Veteran

Alright, thank you everyone! Don’t know why I didn’t think about the ac before... But i could see the clutch engaging, and also made it go away by unplugging the electrical connector on the compressor.

Now - why is it making the noise, and doing it so often? I’ve never heard the compressor cycle like that in any other car I’ve ever been in, and the AC doesn’t work anyway... I’m guessing I’m out of refrigerant, so I have a leak somewhere to repair and then recharge?

Thoughts? Repair/investigation steps?

Old 05-05-2018, 06:52 AM
true blue
Veteran

The only way the a/c comes on is by command. Your fan switch is either turned to the a/c position, a separate a/c switch is in the on position or you're in defrost mode. If your freon is low, the hi or low pressure switches won't close n the a/c clutch won't engage. To be fair, you could be low on freon, the system still has enough to turn on the a/c but not enough to properly "cool". If that's not it, I'm guessin' that the problem maybe within the mixer doors n that's why it never feels cold, but if the a/c is indeed working/cooling, a quick way to verify it is to look under the pickup n see if water is drippin' from the drain line.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Try putting the hvac **** in the off position. The compressor should not run at all unless there is a problem with hvac switch. Compressor should only run on ac and defrost. It sounds like it's not staying on long enough to get water from the drain just feel the line coming out of the compressor and see if it's cold.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:50 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The cheap way to fix it is to leave it unplugged. If you want A/C you'll have to figure out what's wrong. It could be low on freon, or a sensor might have failed, the orifice also could be plugged. The clutches do wear out. I don't know if you can buy the clutch separately, or have to buy a complete compressor. You can buy the bearing for the clutch.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Twmays
Veteran

So, it was in the vent only (not AC) setting, but it does stop cycling when I turn it to off.
Temp does change all the way to heat when I change it to heat, and back again to “cool” (same as outside) when I turn it to cool.
Did not notice any water dripping/condensation, and pipes don’t feel cold...

i dont want to take it in, but also don’t want to catch an earful when it’s 110 degrees next month.

Quick Reply: The phone won’t quit ringing