2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 PM
JusMedic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Overdrive

Okay, New to the forum, but have read many posts. I am so stuck and need help. Here’s the situation. Daily driver 2001 1500 5.9 gas auto 4x4 3.55 gears. 181k on the ticker and I lost reverse due to the big C-clip that holds the OD in place. I had a low miles 5.9 gas auto trans 4x4 out of a 98 2500 8,800lbs series w/ 4.10 gears 100k miles. I was rebuilding the 98, had motor all cleaned, gaskets, espically the intake gasket, and painted when my DD lost reverse. So in order to try and kill more birds with single stone I swapped the 98drive line into the 01 had the forward slip yoke welded to the 01 drive shaft and balance because it was different wheel bases and away I went. Truck runs awesome, shifts strong (I adjusted the rear band inside the trans while doing fluid, filter, pan. Fluid looked clean and free of metal chunks and particles) but I have no Overdrive. I can race her up to 3,000rpm and she will not shift into 4th I changed the input speed sensor, no change. Changed the PCM to the 98 PCM and it gave me “no bus” and didn’t appear to change a thing. Is it a electrical issue like I think? Does changing the gearing due to different axles affect it? I’m moving family into a new house at the end of the month and my work horse is not going to make the 80 miles of highway driving, let alone tow all the Jeep projects and cummins projects to the new house Please help!!!

Old 05-14-2018, 11:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JusMedic
Okay, New to the forum, but have read many posts. I am so stuck and need help. Here’s the situation. Daily driver 2001 1500 5.9 gas auto 4x4 3.55 gears. 181k on the ticker and I lost reverse due to the big C-clip that holds the OD in place. I had a low miles 5.9 gas auto trans 4x4 out of a 98 2500 8,800lbs series w/ 4.10 gears 100k miles. I was rebuilding the 98, had motor all cleaned, gaskets, espically the intake gasket, and painted when my DD lost reverse. So in order to try and kill more birds with single stone I swapped the 98drive line into the 01 had the forward slip yoke welded to the 01 drive shaft and balance because it was different wheel bases and away I went. Truck runs awesome, shifts strong (I adjusted the rear band inside the trans while doing fluid, filter, pan. Fluid looked clean and free of metal chunks and particles) but I have no Overdrive. I can race her up to 3,000rpm and she will not shift into 4th I changed the input speed sensor, no change. Changed the PCM to the 98 PCM and it gave me “no bus” and didn’t appear to change a thing. Is it a electrical issue like I think? Does changing the gearing due to different axles affect it? I’m moving family into a new house at the end of the month and my work horse is not going to make the 80 miles of highway driving, let alone tow all the Jeep projects and cummins projects to the new house Please help!!!
When you start the truck is the O/D light on? Might be electrical. But if it isn't getting power that light should be on

Old 05-15-2018, 05:37 AM
JusMedic

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
When you start the truck is the O/D light on? Might be electrical. But if it isn't getting power that light should be on

light functions on s as it should

Old 05-15-2018, 07:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The electronics in the 98 trans are different than what your truck expects. They changed in 2000. Need to governor sensor/solenoid/retainer clip from the 01 trans for things to work right.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 AM
JusMedic

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The electronics in the 98 trans are different than what your truck expects. They changed in 2000. Need to governor sensor/solenoid/retainer clip from the 01 trans for things to work right.

i hate to be dumb, little to no automatic trans experience. Can u specify or have a pic of the sensor I have to swap? Is it interchangeable? I’d assume it unbolts and u plugs once the pan is down? I see you posting a lot of good answers. Was hoping you’d join this thread Thanks

Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check the pics here. Blue arrow is the solenoid, red arrow is the sensor. I think the retainer is for the sensor. (you can likely grab it out of your old trans.) I think the internal connectors changed as well..... so, may have to replace ALL the electronics.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 AM
JusMedic

Check the pics here. Blue arrow is the solenoid, red arrow is the sensor. I think the retainer is for the sensor. (you can likely grab it out of your old trans.) I think the internal connectors changed as well..... so, may have to replace ALL the electronics.
yes I have old trans, so replace solenoid and sensor? Okay I’ll give it a try Any other sensors or electronics that need to be switched. I appreciate the help I was really thinking this was electrical issues.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I suspect you will have to change the O/D, and TCC solenoids as well, as I think the connector is different from 98 to 01....

Old 05-15-2018, 04:23 PM
JusMedic

I suspect you will have to change the O/D, and TCC solenoids as well, as I think the connector is different from 98 to 01....

so so basically change all the sensors?

Old 05-15-2018, 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pretty much.

You can pick up a complete set off of ebay, that includes the BW heavy duty solenoid, sensor, tcc and O/D solenoids, with the added bonus of an output speed sensor for around 200 bucks.

Quick Reply: Help with Overdrive