2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Top End Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:42 PM
WAfrican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top End Upgrade

So the time has finally come and i will be working on the truck here in the near future and I wanted to see what everyone here thought. Currently i'm looking at getting a complete top end kit from hughes I'm still unsure on whether to get their iron or aluminum kit. As theres only a $200 difference I'm thinking the aluminum is the way to go. So far the truck doesn't have much on it. It's got 73k miles, 4" CAI, Pacesetter LT headers into a offload y pipe and single 3" back from my high flow cat. I don't tow much and would like to just finally be able to have a little more power to get around and have more fun with on the weekends. Has anyone installed their kits and what do you think about them? Are they worth it or is there better options that are within a similar price range?

Old 05-30-2018, 03:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I've never personally used Hughes, but I know people who did and they won't use them again. They either sent the wrong parts or just took forever, and when they called customer support they were very rude. Then again nobody ever reports the good stuff only the bad.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Might want to post witch kit/s you are looking at.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

On a street engine that is going to stay together a long time, you won't have to worry about corrosion between the iron and aluminum if you use the cast iron heads. I've never had aluminum heads, so I don't know if it's much of a problem or not. I did have a hell of a time getting steel bolts out of aluminum on my semi though. I know it's not the same thing, but it's something to consider.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

You only have 73k on a 99????

Why in the world would you want to tear into it? Just add some 1.7rr and a SCT tune for some giddyup.

And my plenum was from Hughes. Parts came perfectly and impressed the mechanic back in 2007. Been on for over 170k.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18

Why in the world would you want to tear into it? Just add some 1.7rr and a SCT tune for some giddyup.

And my plenum was from Hughes. Parts came perfectly and impressed the mechanic back in 2007. Been on for over 170k.
I gotta agree with this idea. The roller rockers themselves are good for 10hp/tq, the tuner does away with torque management, and also bumps power/torque a bit. These two mods will nicely compliment your free-flowing exhaust.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:48 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18

Why in the world would you want to tear into it? ...
Another +1 on this...

I have over 208k on my 5.2 without opening it up, and it's still running strong... maybe uses ½ a Qt of oil every 6k (most of which ends up in my catch-can).
Like you, I'm considering heads, but whilst my rig isn't showing signs of weakening, I'm holding off spending the $$.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:26 PM
WAfrican
Professional

I'm interested in new heads because I believe my current ones are warped or cracked as I have a leak on my passenger side header that will not seal so i figured if I'm going to replace them why not just go big. I know the timing chain needs to be replaced soon, and me plenum needs to be fixed so while I'm at it why not just put a new cam. I could just keep the keg and ditch the FI Air Gap.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Why does your timing chain need replacing "soon?" I replaced mine at 200k and the new one had the same amount of slack. Hmmm.

Warped headers? Replace headers. Heads are fine I'm sure. Is coolant in your oil or vice versa?

Plenum I can sort of understand. I had mine done around 65k since it liked to ping so bad so I had it done. It was perfect. My truck just likes to ping. Always has. But some trucks did actually blow the plenum gasket.

I'm at 235k plus as a daily driver. If you're just throwing money at things, throw some at me, lol.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:39 PM
WAfrican
Professional

The headers are relatively new and weren't warped when installed so it shouldn't be the headers. As for the timing chain it had quite a bit of slack when the water pump was replaced so i figured it'd be just a precaution. This is my daily driver so to put a little $ into it to have more playing power is ok with me as i plan on driving this forever.

Quick Reply: Top End Upgrade