2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A little trouble with my shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little trouble with my shifter

Hey guys, new to the forum. My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 has been doing great so far (bought it a month ago), except one thing.

The most noticeable problem is the shift lever on the 5 speed manual. The shift lever will occasionally get hitched or caught on the 'gate'. For example, when shifting into 1st gear the lever will sometimes just get stuck right before entering 1st. It's almost as if it is hitting the side of the theoretical gate. To clarify, I do know that there is no physical gate like in the sketch I have uploaded. I made that just to describe what my problem feels like physically. It happens going into reverse as well. Something worth noting is the amount of play in the lever while in gear. The lever will move freely left-to-right about an inch or so at the ****. Anyways, what could it be? I know of shift lever bushings, but I'm not experienced with them. How much $$/how involved of a fix would this be? Thought I'd ask before I just dive into it.

One other thing I thought I'd mention is the trans has a low pitched whine when I'm going say 25 MPH, preparing to make a turn and I put the shift lever into 2nd gear with the clutch still disengaged. It starts right when I put it in 2nd, and again only while the clutch is still disengaged. It's louder the faster I'm going, and it gets quieter while I slow further for the turn. No clue if it's even an issue, but I might as well say it while I'm here.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

First and reverse are not synchronized, So, it may be the gears themselves not quite lining up that prevents it from going into gear. You can verify that by slipping the clutch just a little bit when it doesn't want to go. If it then slips easily into gear, there is the cause.

I think there is a nylon, (or similar material) bushing on the end of the shift lever, that actually moves stuff around inside the trans, it's probably just worn a bit.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:17 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it, or has it ever been run low on oil? I would buy Amsoil for it and change the oil. They will ship it to your house if you can't find a local retailer.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:50 AM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bit
Is it, or has it ever been run low on oil? I would buy Amsoil for it and change the oil. They will ship it to your house if you can't find a local retailer.
I'm guessing you're talking about the trans, and to my knowledge it hasn't been run low on fluid. I don't recall seeing a trans dipstick, but I'll make sure to look for one.

Also, I never knew 1st wasn't synchronized. I guess that makes sense, the gears are just a hair out of line every once in a while. Thanks for the tips guys

Old 06-02-2018, 11:24 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Completely normal behavior. Any manual can stick going into first or reverse. Sometimes when coming to a stop, the gears won't line up to go right in. Simply release the pedal a little while putting some pressure on the stick and she'll slide right in. You'll get used to the characteristics of it soon enough. After all, it's not called "hand shaker" for nothing! Just never force or jam it into gear, and never float gears.

The whine in 2nd is because it's a heavy duty gear. Very normal.

Only use MOPAR gear oil in the NV3500!!!!

I replaced my bushing two years ago and it made no difference. The wear must be the ball itself. As long as it stays in gear fine, doesn't make any grinding noises, you're good. I've got over 235k on mine and she's still perfect.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:55 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett45
I'm guessing you're talking about the trans, and to my knowledge it hasn't been run low on fluid. I don't recall seeing a trans dipstick, but I'll make sure to look for one.

Also, I never knew 1st wasn't synchronized. I guess that makes sense, the gears are just a hair out of line every once in a while. Thanks for the tips guys
On a manual transmission there will be a plug on the side of the transmission. Fluid should be level with the plug or just trickle out.

Quick Reply: A little trouble with my shifter