2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cranks, no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 PM
kman4443
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I don't think, as when you first start the truck the computer doesn't even use the 02 sensors until they warm up. At least that is my understanding of it
Its been a few days since I've worked on the truck, I took some vacation and decided to start back fresh from the top. I now have a few more questions (sorry! I'm new to Dodge trucks). First is that when I got the truck, the PCM was bad and I had it replaced with a reman one and I also noticed after installing the new one that there was a break in a wire in the wiring harness connecting to it. I soldered it back together after discovering it. The PCM is able to communicate with a code reader, and before the wire was repaired, it was throwing three codes (I can't remember exactly but they had nothing to do with ignition) after the wire fix they disappeared. I'm thinking that the computer might be fried because I tried to start the truck with the new PCM and didn't discover the damaged wire until after the fact. Possible? I'm still getting a no spark condition and when I hooked a test light to the wiring on the crank sensor it gets 5 volts (mutlimeter double check) but the other wire that sends the electrical signal got nothing. Second, the truck as I mentioned was stolen and recovered, the radio is gone it was stolen from the truck so no radio is hooked up. My Honda Odyssey minivan will not run without the radio in it as a part of the ignition system and for anti-theft I guess. Are Dodge trucks wired the same way as well?

Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 PM
kman4443
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's where the voltage originates.
Its been a few days since I've worked on the truck, I took some vacation and decided to start back fresh from the top. I now have a few more questions (sorry! I'm new to Dodge trucks). First is that when I got the truck, the PCM was bad and I had it replaced with a reman one and I also noticed after installing the new one that there was a break in a wire in the wiring harness connecting to it. I soldered it back together after discovering it. The PCM is able to communicate with a code reader, and before the wire was repaired, it was throwing three codes (I can't remember exactly but they had nothing to do with ignition) after the wire fix they disappeared. I'm thinking that the computer might be fried because I tried to start the truck with the new PCM and didn't discover the damaged wire until after the fact. Possible? I'm still getting a no spark condition and when I hooked a test light to the wiring on the crank sensor it gets 5 volts (mutlimeter double check) but the other wire that sends the electrical signal got nothing. Second, the truck as I mentioned was stolen and recovered, the radio is gone it was stolen from the truck so no radio is hooked up. My Honda Odyssey minivan will not run without the radio in it as a part of the ignition system and for anti-theft I guess. Are Dodge trucks wired the same way as well? Having dug deep in the wiring yet, but I'm trying to re-trace my steps and be verrrrrry thorough before I do.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by kman4443
Its been a few days since I've worked on the truck, I took some vacation and decided to start back fresh from the top. I now have a few more questions (sorry! I'm new to Dodge trucks). First is that when I got the truck, the PCM was bad and I had it replaced with a reman one and I also noticed after installing the new one that there was a break in a wire in the wiring harness connecting to it. I soldered it back together after discovering it. The PCM is able to communicate with a code reader, and before the wire was repaired, it was throwing three codes (I can't remember exactly but they had nothing to do with ignition) after the wire fix they disappeared. I'm thinking that the computer might be fried because I tried to start the truck with the new PCM and didn't discover the damaged wire until after the fact. Possible? I'm still getting a no spark condition and when I hooked a test light to the wiring on the crank sensor it gets 5 volts (mutlimeter double check) but the other wire that sends the electrical signal got nothing. Second, the truck as I mentioned was stolen and recovered, the radio is gone it was stolen from the truck so no radio is hooked up. My Honda Odyssey minivan will not run without the radio in it as a part of the ignition system and for anti-theft I guess. Are Dodge trucks wired the same way as well?
A wire that was broke isn't going to fry your PCM. Rent/buy a noid light (it tells you is your intentions are firing) and hook them up. If they all light the PCM is working. But the only real way to tell if it is fried is to take it and send it in.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:48 PM
kman4443
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
A wire that was broke isn't going to fry your PCM. Rent/buy a noid light (it tells you is your intentions are firing) and hook them up. If they all light the PCM is working. But the only real way to tell if it is fried is to take it and send it in.
I forgot to add that when I crank the engine the tachometer doesn't move. In all vehicles I have had when it is cranking and attempting to start it usually does. I know this could be a bad crank sensor, but I did replace it twice so I'm guessing not.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Need to know whats missing. Spark, or fuel.

Does the fuel pump run? Do you have good pressure? Do you get injector pulse?

Old 08-23-2018, 07:13 PM
kman4443
Rookie

Need to know whats missing. Spark, or fuel.

Does the fuel pump run? Do you have good pressure? Do you get injector pulse?
I tested for fuel and the pump does run delivers about 42 to 45 lbs pressure so I think from what I've found that is normal. I tested the spark plugs with a spark tester and also hooked the tester to the coil and got no indication of spark. Going check tomorrow for injector pulse the battery is low and the truck won't crank so its on a charger now. again, I also have replaced the crank sensor twice and the cam sensor as well.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Need to verify crank sensor wiring. If that's good, I would suspect the PCM has failed.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 AM
kman4443
Rookie

Need to verify crank sensor wiring. If that's good, I would suspect the PCM has failed.
I did check the connector for power and it was getting required 5 volts to the crank sensor, I will go back and check for signal or pulse

Quick Reply: Cranks, no start