2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 Magnum v8 won't idle, stalls unless holding gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:06 PM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done a compression test. Im scared to.

Also wondering if the lock cylinder could be messing up the ignition? Because it will move even after I take the key out and doesn't lock the steering column like it should.

i'll go back out there tomorrow and check tdc and the rotor.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by VeraciousTrades
Well Mopar thank you for the feedback. That's all kind of intimidating. I should be able to align tdc with the marks on the crankshaft. Then I can pull the distributor cap and see if it lines up with cylinder 1 mark and go from there.
It seems like it is but it honestly isn't. The problem lies in you can't set the ignition timing or fuel sync without having a pricey scan tool.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:33 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used AutoZone brand lol. I thought I had it fixed originally because I thought it was the tps at first. Ive noticed gaps in throttle body plates before which controlled the idle and the tps plastic teeth were busted. Then I couldn't get the tps to gap the throttle plate enough to hold idle so I realized that this throttle body wasn't like that. Im also confused which way the tps is supposed to go because I've seen the connector up and also the connector down in videos.<br /><br />I really thought i had it fixed because when I replaced the iac with the AutoZone brand it cranked and idled good so I thought I fixed it and shut it off. Then later it wouldn't idle again and stalled.<br /><br />If i wedge something in the throttle plate it will get enough air to idle.<br /><br />The throttle body is actually pretty clean already. Is there a tiny hole for the iac i possibly missed?<br /><br />The previous owner broke the old crankshaft position sensor off and I replaced it with the duralast (that's it) AutoZone brand.<br /><br />Now, for the ignition interlock, as in DWI interlock device which prevents the vehicle from running? It's almost seems like it is being told to not run by some kind of shut off device.<br /><br />The wire runs from the steering column to the ignition coil and also to a spring device on the driver's side that registers if the hood is open or closed. I broke that spring device when i was messing with it and lost the spring.<br /><br />I'm also wondering if maybe my ignition coil is bad.<br /><br />Should I buy mopar iac, tps, and crankshaft position sensor?
<br />yeah, i would replace the crank and cam sensors (maybe after doing a compression test)<br /><br />the wire for my interlock (yes dui) is the power source for the device. those systems have to have a "reliable" 12v to work properly. they trying rewiring it twice and i was still having issues, so they tapped into the power wire to the coil. no more problems. (except that i still have it in my truck)<br /><br />on your coil, mist some water on it while the truck is running and look for any arching going on. if you see any, replace it. if you don't, take it off and check the resistance numbers on it and make sure they are in range.<br /><br />i would use mopar for all your sensors and even on your coil. i bought two from parts stores (for my old durango) that were out of spec right out of the box.

Last edited by racefan41; 06-09-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:39 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

damn, is everyone else seeing the br arrow stuff going on im my post, or is it just me? whats that all about ? lol

Must be cause of my real good penmanship

Last edited by racefan41; 06-09-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I read through the diagrams. Does it make a difference if I never removed the distributor at all? And, is this the only way to correct the timing if the rotor is off?

Thanks alot for your help.
It will get it close yes. Also your ignition cylinder is bad but that won't cause any problems other then if you don't make sure it's off it'll kill the battery

Old 06-09-2018, 11:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by racefan41
damn, is everyone else seeing the br arrow stuff going on im my post, or is it just me? whats that all about ? lol

Must be cause of my real good penmanship
Could be lol but it would be your computer or if you are trying to use faces

Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really thought i had it fixed because when I replaced the iac with the AutoZone brand it cranked and idled good so I thought I fixed it and shut it off. Then later it wouldn't idle again and stalled.

If i wedge something in the throttle plate it will get enough air to idle.
Sounds like you got a bad IAC to me. I've had sensors be bad right out of the box before.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

If you don't know now sound the engine is it makes scene to find out(compression test). What condition is the battery in? Have it load tested, If it is even a bit in the weak zone replace it. A weak battery will cause issues with idle! When you check the position of the rotor it needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke #1 cylinder. Don't trust the mark on the balencer unless you check it(tdc piston #1 cylinder) The outer ring on the balencer has been known to move. Did you check for any vac leaks? Plenum gasket blown? After market sensors can be hit or miss especially for the iac. I have heard of people going threw 5 or more before finding one that would work. Stick with oem or delphi. Delphi is supplier for the auto manufactures so it's not "aftermarket".

Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 AM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
It seems like it is but it honestly isn't. The problem lies in you can't set the ignition timing or fuel sync without having a pricey scan tool.
Im going to go check the rotor and TDC in an hour or two.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:20 AM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie

Originally Posted by racefan41
<br />yeah, i would replace the crank and cam sensors (maybe after doing a compression test)<br /><br />the wire for my interlock (yes dui) is the power source for the device. those systems have to have a "reliable" 12v to work properly. they trying rewiring it twice and i was still having issues, so they tapped into the power wire to the coil. no more problems. (except that i still have it in my truck)<br /><br />on your coil, mist some water on it while the truck is running and look for any arching going on. if you see any, replace it. if you don't, take it off and check the resistance numbers on it and make sure they are in range.<br /><br />i would use mopar for all your sensors and even on your coil. i bought two from parts stores (for my old durango) that were out of spec right out of the box.
​​​​​​
i will have to wait about 10 days to buy more sensors when I get some money.

The thing is, i don't have an interlock device and am wondering y i have a single wire running from the steering column to the ignition coil.

I guess I could check the resistance on the coil.

Quick Reply: 5.2 Magnum v8 won't idle, stalls unless holding gas