2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Vents Not Working, Ideas before I rip the dash apart?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 02:55 PM
HulkVonSmash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Vents Not Working, Ideas before I rip the dash apart?

So, I've spent the last couple days doing some random research myself, but here's the issue.

Defrost is the only place air is travelling. It is cold (Just did a A/C Recharge last week), but not blowing to the front vents, only defrost and the corner vent on passenger side. I've been told it's likely the blend door and I'm pretty confident that it is. Here's the kicker, I'm a broke college kid who's doing the work himself and need to know what I'm diving into. Any suggestions on what to do as far as how to get it working for little to no money? Open to "redneck engineering."

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:05 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You probably have a vacuum leak. They default to defrost position when vacuum is lost. It likes to break where the line goes through the firewall on the passenger side. Check out the wild vents thread. I'm guessing you have an actual broken line because yours aren't changing position at all. Once you know you have vacuum you can move on to the actuator and blend door.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for adding a new design vacuum check valve to the HVAC vacuum line only. I can get you the part # but it is a little bigger then the old 35mm film canisters. It also has a reservoir on it. This should be put into that line if you would like I can get you pictures of the live.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:09 PM
HulkVonSmash

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for adding a new design vacuum check valve to the HVAC vacuum line only. I can get you the part # but it is a little bigger then the old 35mm film canisters. It also has a reservoir on it. This should be put into that line if you would like I can get you pictures of the live.
Yeah, id appreciate that.

Edit: If its the TSB in the sticky thread, that's for a 1994 to 1996. I drive a 2000.

Last edited by HulkVonSmash; 06-22-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:32 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Pop the hood and look on the passenger side of the engine for skinny black plastic lines. They are the vacuum lines. They wind around and go places like into the firewall, over the engine to under the battery for cruise, and into the manifold. Something broke somewhere. Both lines and check valves are cheap.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HulkVonSmash
Yeah, id appreciate that.

Edit: If its the TSB in the sticky thread, that's for a 1994 to 1996. I drive a 2000.
I'll find it for you! Even so same exact setup. The only reason it may be for those years is they should have the check valve by then years but not all did

Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM
HulkVonSmash

I checked the vacuum lines going into the cab, and sure enough I found a cracked vacuum line. I haven't found a shop that carries the 3/16th vacuum line. Advance Auto Parts has 3/16th rubber hose. I thought I read somewhere that someone had used that and it worked fine. Anyone able to confirm that before I go buy a couple feet of it?

Old 06-23-2018, 03:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Only need a few inches. Just use the rubber line over the plastic line where it broke.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:15 PM
HulkVonSmash

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Only need a few inches. Just use the rubber line over the plastic line where it broke.
Can i just cut at the crack in the hose and use that to take it in to get a rubber hose cover?

Old 06-23-2018, 05:32 PM
HulkVonSmash

Problem fixed. Still loses vacuum when I accelerate too fast, but I have front vents so its worth it. Thanks for the information guys.

Quick Reply: Front Vents Not Working, Ideas before I rip the dash apart?